Easy Peppermint Brownies topped with chocolate and crushed candies are chewy minty and delicious! This one bowl brownie recipe is perfect for holiday baking!
We’ve been making these delicious little morsels for years. These are one of our favorite Christmas desserts, and it wouldn’t be the Holiday season without them!
This is one of the easiest brownie recipes on the planet, and you can mix up everything in one bowl. So if you’re looking for an easy holiday treat, these chocolate peppermint brownies are for you.
How to Make Frosted Peppermint Brownies
First, you melt some chocolate chips in the microwave. Melt them in short increments, stirring well each time.
You can also do this on the stove — just make sure the pot is big enough to hold all of the ingredients.
When the chocolate is melted and smooth, add the extract. Then, you add the remaining ingredients, and mix everything together.
The batter will be stiff. But, that’s normal.
I like to line the baking pan with parchment paper. This makes it easy to remove the brownies and slice them.
If you don’t have parchment paper, you can use foil. Or, just grease the pan with butter or use non stick baking spray.
When the brownies are done baking, sprinkle some chocolate morsels over the top. Return the pan to the oven for about 5 minutes or until the chocolate starts to melt.
Smooth the melted chocolate over the brownie layer. Then, sprinkle some crushed peppermint candies all over the melted chocolate.
Now comes the hard part — you’ll need to let the brownies cool down a little before you dig in!
The chocolate layer hardens as it cools, and it’s almost like a layer of peppermint bark on top. Yum!
How to Store Them
Keep the brownies in an air-tight container. They stay soft and fresh for a few days — if they last that long!
If your house is warm, I recommend storing the brownies in the refrigerator since the chocolate layer may melt. You can also freeze the brownies for later — just wrap them up well.
Easy Peppermint Brownies
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (divided)
- ½ cup butter melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350° for metal pan, 325° for glass
- In a large pot or microwaveable bowl, melt the butter and 1 cup of the chips over low heat. If microwaving, heat chips and butter in short increments, stirring frequently
- When melted, remove from heat and stir in the peppermint extract.
- Add eggs, sugar, cinnamon, flour and baking soda, and mix well.
- Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips, and pour mixture into a greased or parchment paper-lined 13 X 9 baking dish.
- Bake °for 18 – 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of brownies comes out fairly clean. There will be some chocolate from the chocolate chips on the toothpick.
- Remove from oven, turn off heat, and drop remaining chocolate chips over the top. You can add more if you want a thicker layer of chocolate.
- Return the brownie pan to the oven and allow chips to begin to melt. No more than 5 minutes
- Remove again, and use a spatula to spread the melted chips evenly over the top.
- Top with peppermint candies, and cut into squares when cool.Enjoy!
More Easy Peppermint Dessert Recipes
- Instant Pot Peppermint Cheesecake
- Peppermint Mocha Cookies
- White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
- Peppermint Mocha Dessert Dip
- Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
Recipe was first published in 2015 and last updated in 2020
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!