Homemade Funfetti Waffles filled with colorful sprinkles are perfect for birthdays and other celebrations. This easy breakfast recipe makes any day special!
We make these festive funfetti birthday waffles for birthdays and holidays and sometimes, just because! If you’re looking for fun birthday breakfast ideas, you can’t go wrong with waffles that are loaded with colorful sprinkles!
If you give your kids some sprinkles, they’ll want to add them to everything, like cookies, cupcakes and even waffles!
I make these homemade waffles without funfetti cake mix. Nothing wrong with cake mix waffles, but it’s super easy to make them from scratch.
How to Make Funfetti Waffles from Scratch
This recipe makes about 12 waffles. You can easily cut the recipe in half or save the leftovers to reheat later. Just heat them up again in your toaster — like eggo waffles!
You can mix everything up in one bowl — no need to dirty a bunch of dishes. Start out by beating the eggs slightly, then add your remaining ingredients.
Add the sprinkles last. You’ll want to give the waffle batter a good stir so that the sprinkles are evenly distributed.
Next, spray your waffle maker with non stick spray. It makes it so much easier to release the waffles when they’re done!
Add some batter to the middle. Then, carefully spread it out so that it’s even. You can add more batter to cover the edges if you need to — just don’t overfill the waffle maker.
The sprinkles melt under the heat, and you get these cool multi-colored swirls in the waffles. It’s almost like tie dye — super fun!
I have a Belgian waffle maker, so the waffles are nice and thick. Your waffles may turn out slightly different depending on what type of waffle maker you have.
We’ve had our waffle maker for a long time. Actually, I believe it was a wedding present, which makes this little appliance practically prehistoric. Did the Flintstones make waffles for breakfast?
When the light goes off and the waffle maker stops steaming, they’re done!
Make a Waffle Bar
Whenever we make these homemade funfetti waffles, the kids like to set up a waffle bar, complete with every topping in the universe. You can keep it light and healthy, or you can go all out — whatever makes you happy!
- Maple syrup
- Ice cream syrup, like chocolate, salted caramel and vanilla flavors
- Fresh fruit
- Whipped cream
- Small candies or chocolate chips
- Crumbled cookies
Homemade Funfetti Waffles
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil or coconut oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups milk or more up to 2 cups or until batter is pourable
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
- Add the eggs to a large mixing bowl whisk together until foamy
- Add vegetable oil and vanilla extract, and whisk until combined
- Mix in the remaining ingredients except sprinkles, until batter is fairly smooth
- Gently stir in sprinkles
- Heat waffle iron, and lightly spray with non-stick spray
- Drop a small amount of batter in middle of the iron, and gently spread out towards the ends
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the iron stops steaming
- Remove from iron, and keep warm until all waffles are made
- Garnish with whipped cream, extra sprinkles or whatever you want
Recipe was originally published in 2016 and last updated in 2021
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!