Stove Top Stuffing Meatloaf is an easy meatloaf recipe with Stove Top Stuffing in place of bread crumbs. An easy dinner recipe the whole family loves and perfect for busy weeknights!
I have been making meatloaf since I was a kid, and I have a lot of meatloaf recipes on the blog. But this Stove Top meatloaf recipe is the easiest meatloaf recipe I have ever made.
Unlike a traditional meatloaf recipe, you use Stove top stuffing in place of breadcrumbs. The seasoned stuffing mix can also replace extra ingredients used to flavor meatloaf, which makes this a very easy recipe!
My entire family loves this flavorful meatloaf, and I love that this delicious recipe comes together so quickly! This is a great main dish for weeknights or Sunday dinner.
Stove Top Stuffing Meatloaf Ingredients
There are only a few simple ingredients in this Stove Top Stuffing meatloaf recipe. You can find them in your grocery store.
- Lean ground beef -- An 80/20 mix works best for meatloaf as it prevents the ground hamburger meat from drying out. Don't opt for extra lean ground beef, as you need some fat for moist meatloaf.
- Box of Stove Top Stuffing Mix -- I used stovetop stuffing chicken flavor because that's what we had, but any flavor works. You can use any brand of boxed stuffing mix as long as it is about 6 oz.
- Eggs -- To help bind the meat mixture. Large eggs work best.
- Ketchup -- For flavor and for the glaze
- Water -- You will need 1 cup water to moisten the stuffing. It may seem like a lot, but it gets absorbed quickly.
- Seasonings -- dried minced onion and garlic powder. These are optional, but I love the added flavor. You can use onion powder in place of flakes or omit the extra seasoning if you like.
How to Make Meatloaf with Stove Top Stuffing
First, preheat your oven. I also like to line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and cooking spray for easy clean-up.
Beat the eggs slightly in a large bowl. This will prevent over mixing the meat, which can lead to dry meatloaf.
Place the ground meat in the same large mixing bowl. Add the dry stuffing mix, half of the ketchup, water, eggs and seasonings.
Use your hands to gently mix the ingredients together. When you can form a loaf shape, it's done.
Place the meat on the prepared baking sheet, and form it into a loaf shape about 1 ½-2 inches thick.
Spread the remaining half of the ketchup on top of the loaf to make an easy glaze.
I usually add a little more ketchup a few minutes before the meatloaf is done, but this is optional.
Place the meatloaf in the preheated oven, and bake for 1 hour or until the internal temperature is 160 degrees f according to a meat thermometer.
There is no need to cover meatloaf unless the top starts to get too dark.
Brush a little extra glaze on top of the meatloaf if needed.
What to Serve with Meatloaf
We almost always serve mashed potatoes and peas or green beans with meatloaf at our house as they are our favorite sides. You can check out the best side dishes for meatloaf for even more dinner inspiration.
How to Store Leftover Meatloaf
Refrigerate leftover meatloaf in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Make sure to refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours of serving for food saftey.
You can freeze meatloaf in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months for best results.
Reheat individual portions of this delicious meatloaf in the microwave or make the best leftover meatloaf sandwich!
For moist meatloaf, use ground beef that is 80 percent lean, 20 percent fat, and do not over mix the meat.
Use the dry stuffing mix only -- no need to prepare the stuffing beforehand.
You can add extra flavor using diced bell peppers, chopped onion, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth in place of water and bbq sauce in place of ketchup. For a sweeter glaze, add a little brown sugar to the ketchup glaze.
For lower fat and calories, sub ground turkey or ground chicken for the beef.
Use a rimmed baking sheet so the meatloaf cooks evenly.
More Easy Meatloaf Recipes
Meatloaf with Tomato Sauce is a classic recipe with a tangy brown sugar glaze.
Cheesy BBQ Meatloaf is flavored with barbecue sauce and topped with cheddar cheese.
Have an Instant Pot? Make meatloaf in the Instant Pot!
Stovetop Stuffing Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 box Stovetop Stuffing Mix 6 oz any brand
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ketchup divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add the eggs to a large mixing bowl, and mix slightly
- Add the ground beef, stuffing mix, water, ¼ cup ketchup, minced onions and garlic powder to the mixing bowl
- Mix all ingredients together with your hands just until mixture starts to stick together
- Place meat in greased or foil lined baking dish, form into loaf shape about 2 inches thick, spread remaining ketchup in a thin layer on top,
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until internal temperature is 160 degrees, according to meat thermometer. Can add more ketchup to top right before done for a thicker glaze if desired
- Allow meatloaf to rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before slicing
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope this will be your new favorite meatloaf recipe! For more easy recipes, and easy ground beef recipes, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow me on social media.