Sausage with peppers and onions is a simple, quick and easy meal that’s perfect for any day of the week. Whether you serve it in a bun or over pasta, this is pure comfort food!
I think we all have a few favorite meals from when we were growing up, and sausage with peppers and onions is definitely one of mine. My grandma made this, and my mom made this, and it was usually on our Saturday night menu, at least until a little mom and pop pizza place opened up near our house, and my parents decided they would rather eat out than cook on the weekends.
My dad would always purchase the sausages at this terrific little Italian deli near our home. He would also get some antipasto, rolls and whenever I went with him, a few boxes of Torrone nougat candy.
We don’t have an Italian deli near our house, but I still like to make sausage and peppers for my own family.
This dish is so versatile, and if you’ve grown up eating sausage and peppers, you probably have your own favorite version.
Mine is super simple, but the taste is outstanding. Usually, I love to cook with different spices, but whenever I make sausage and peppers, I let the ingredients pretty much flavor themselves, if you know what I mean.
So for this dish, all you really need are some Italian sausages, garlic, bell peppers, onions, olive oil, salt and pepper. I also add some red pepper flakes for a little kick.
The onions and peppers caramelize, and that alone, is really all you need to add flavor to the sausages. If you want more tomato flavor, just add your favorite marinara sauce or crushed tomatoes.
How to make Sausage Peppers and Onions
Sausage Peppers and Onions
- 6 Italian sausages mild or hot
- 2 medium yellow onions sliced
- 3 pieces bell peppers red, orange, yellow, cut into large
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat, add the sausages, and cook until brown on both sides
- Add the peppers, garlic, salt, pepper and onions, and cook until peppers and onions are soft and slightly brown.
- Reduce heat, add red pepper flakes, if using, and simmer until ready to serve, stirring frequently
- You can cut sausage into smaller pieces if desired
We have sausage and pepper sandwiches frequently on the weekends, and sometimes, I’ll serve it over pasta. Today, we did something completely different and had this over cooked quinoa.
Told you it was versatile!
So, how many of you grew up on sausage, peppers and onions?
Let me know how you make it!