Baked Sausage and Peppers with onions is an easy sheet pan dinner perfect for busy weeknights and game day that the whole family will love.
Easy Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers Recipe
I grew up eating my mom's stovetop Italian sausage peppers and onions, but sausage and peppers in the oven is so much easier. This is the perfect weeknight dinner and a family favorite. My kids request it at least once a week.
You can make Italian sausage in the Instant Pot and sausage and peppers in the air fryer, but all you need is one sheet pan for this easy recipe. The best part about sheet pan meals is the easy clean-up. Just add everything to a large sheet pan and this easy meal is done in about 30 minutes.
You only need a few simple ingredients from the grocery store for this easy weeknight meal. The full recipe is in the printable recipe card below.
- Sweet Italian sausage -- Use hot Italian sausage if you like heat. I use pork sausage, but turkey sausage or chicken sausage will work.
- Onion -- Use a red or white onion for best taste. A red onion will also work.
- Bell peppers -- I use a combo of red bell peppers, yellow peppers and orange bell peppers. You can use green bell peppers or use sweet mini peppers if you like.
- Seasonings -- sea salt, black pepper are all you need. You can add red pepper flakes or garlic powder and Italian seasoning for extra flavor.
- Olive oil -- or avocado oil to coat the onions and peppers while baking.
Use a large baking sheet with a rim for best results.
How to Make Baked Sausage and Peppers Recipe
First, cut the peppers and onion into thin slices. I line the baking sheets with aluminum foil, but you can use parchment paper or skip the liner altogether. Then, arrange them on a sheet pan. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Place the sausages on top of the vegetables. Then bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through. The sausages should be 165 degrees when done and the peppers and onion mixture should be soft.
How to Serve Baked Italian Sausages
Our favorite way to serve sheet pan sausage and peppers is in sandwich form. Italian sausage sandwiches on a hoagie roll with provolone cheese are out-of-this-world delicious! You can toast the buns if you like or place thin slices of provolone on the bun and let the heat from the cooked sausage melt the cheese.
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Freeze leftover sausage and peppers in a freezer-safe container for longer storage. They reheat well. I like to make sausage and peppers pasta with any leftovers. Extra roasted peppers and onions are perfect for adding flavor to any pasta dish!
Slice the onions and peppers into thin strips so they will cook faster.
Place the sausages evenly on the baking sheet. Don't crowd them together.
Oven temperatures may vary, so you may need a little less time or more time to get the sausage cooked to your liking. If you want more caramelized onions, cook them for about 10 minutes before adding the sausage.
More Sheet Pan Dinners
Baked Sausage and Peppers
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 Italian sausages
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Rinse the peppers, pat dry, remove seeds and membranes, then slice into thin strips
- Slice onion into thin strips, then place peppers and onion on a foil-lined sheet pan
- Drizzle olive oil over peppers and onions, and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Arrange evenly in a single layer
- Place sausages on top of peppers and onions
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, flipping over about halfway through, or until sausages are 165℉ according to meat thermometer and veggies are soft.
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
For more easy dinner recipes, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow me on social media.