Bruschetta with Tomato, Basil and Gorgonzola is made with toasted bread and topped with ripe tomatoes, fresh basil and salty Gorgonzola cheese. This savory treat makes a flavorful summer appetizer or even a light dinner.
When the weather starts to warm up, we switch from big dinners to lighter ones, like salads, sandwiches and sometimes, finger foods. On the weekends, I’ll sometimes make a bunch of little finger foods and appetizers, and we’ll nosh on them while we watch a movie. It’s a lot of fun, and the kids love it when we do this. And honestly, I do too. I’m pretty much worn out by the end of the week, and I could definitely use a break!
As much as I love eating dinner around the table, I figure that we’re all still eating together as a family — just in a different place.
One of my favorite late spring or summer appetizers is definitely bruschetta. I love the flavor of ripe tomatoes, and this is a super tasty way to enjoy them. Even my kids enjoy bruschetta, and why not? It’s got tomatoes, bread, garlic and a little cheese, so it’s almost like a healthier pizza, right?
Instead of rubbing the bread with garlic, I brush the slices with melted garlic butter, and then I toast them in the oven. Personally, I think this method is easier, and it gives the appetizer more garlic flavor — yum! But if you want something even lighter, you can just toast the bread rounds and skip this step.
The last couple of times I made bruschetta, I added some Gorgonzola cheese on top, and oh my, was this ever good! It’s tangier than the usual feta, and it really complements the tomatoes and basil.
And today, I also used basil from our mini garden and two little yellow pear tomatoes, which were the first ones to ripen this year!
How to Make Bruschetta with Tomato, Basil and Gorgonzola
Bruschetta with Tomato, Basil and Gorgonzola
- For the Bread
- 1 small baguette loaf sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For the Tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 3 ripe tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- leaves Sliced basil for garnish
- In a small pot, heat the butter, olive oil and garlic until butter is melted
- Remove from heat and set aside
- In a small bowl, mix the tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and olive oil, set aside
- Arrange sliced bread on a lined baking sheet, and brush slices with garlic butter mixture
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes or until brown
- Top bread with tomatoes and Gorgonzola, and garnish with basil
Ripe, juicy tomatoes and creamy, salty cheese — doesn’t that look appetizing?!
This easy bruschetta with tomatoes, basil and Gorgonzola cheese is fresh, light and tastes just like summer — sweet!