This Easy Baked Beans Recipe with Brown Sugar uses canned beans with a few simple ingredients added for the perfect side dish in just 5 minutes. Enjoy these brown sugar baked beans at every cookout all summer long!
I have been making this super easy baked beans recipe for as long as I can remember. When not everyone in the family will eat beans, making canned beans in the microwave instead of dry beans from scratch is definitely the way to go!
Growing up, my folks used to dump a can of baked beans in a casserole dish, heat it up, and call it a day.
Then, a relative brought his homemade baked beans to a family reunion. Turns out, they were just doctored up canned baked beans, but they were absolutely delicious.
So, this easy recipe has been a part of our summer cookouts and many a family dinner since then! My son always goes back for seconds and says it's the best baked beans recipe ever!
Ingredients for this easy brown sugar baked beans recipe should be easy to find in any grocery store.
- Canned baked beans -- I love Bush's original baked beans, but any different brand will do. Cans of pork and beans are fine. Just try to use one without lots of extra flavors that might clash with other ingredients.
- Brown sugar -- You can use light brown sugar or dark brown sugar
- Mustard -- I love Dijon mustard, but regular mustard also works
- Ketchup -- a little ketchup adds another layer of flavor
- Seasonings -- dried minced onions, a little bit of smoked paprika (for smoky flavors), garlic powder and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
How to Make Canned Baked Beans Better
First, wash and dry the top of the can with a paper towel. Then, open the cans of beans and dump them into a baking dish or microwave-safe dish.
I don't drain the cans because we like the savory sauce, but you can drain extra liquid from one or both of the cans if you like them thicker.
Then, add the remaining ingredients, and stir the bean mixture until well blended.
Microwave baked beans on high power for 5 minutes, stirring about halfway through the cooking time. Total cooking time varies with different microwaves.
Or, make this easy baked bean recipe in the oven at 350 degrees f for 30 minutes or until heated through.
What to Serve with Brown Sugar Baked Beans
We serve brown sugar baked beans with Grandma's Potato Salad, Hawaiian Mac Salad, Broccoli Salad, Grilled Corn on the Cob, Burgers, Cucumber Salad, Grilled Zucchini, Grilled Yellow Squash or whatever is on the grill. This easy side dish recipe pairs well with just about any main dish.
How to Store and Reheat
Refrigerate leftover beans in an airtight container for up to 4 days. They taste even better the next day! You can freeze them in a freezer-safe container for longer storage.
Reheat the beans in the microwave, in the oven or on the stovetop.
I almost always cook canned beans in the microwave, but you can bake them in the oven or on the stove top on medium heat until heated through. You can also cook these delicious baked beans in the slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1-2 hours.
Make brown sugar baked beans with bacon by adding slices of bacon. I use leftover cooked bacon for convenience. Add a dash or Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce for delicious umami flavor. You can sub maple syrup for the brown sugar or bbq sauce or tomato sauce for the ketchup.
For milder taste, leave out the smoked paprika and garlic powder. Or spice up the beans with a dash of your favorite hot sauce or sliced jalapeno peppers or a green bell pepper.
Easy Baked Beans Recipe with Brown Sugar
- 2 16.5 oz canned baked beans
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 2 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a baking dish or microwave-safe dish, and stir well
- Cover with a vented cover, and microwave on high power for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring about halfway through the cook time.
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy these delicious brown sugar beans as much as we do. It's the easy way to make baked beans taste homemade without hours of cooking! If you do try this delicious side dish, please leave a comment and/or star rating.
For more delicious recipes and easy recipes anyone can make, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow me on social media.