Sriracha Beef Taco Stuffed Peppers with black beans and cheese are spicy, gluten free and baked on one sheet pan for easy clean-up!
If you like fusion food that’s also gluten free and lower in carbs, you’re going to love these sriracha beef taco peppers. Sriracha is everywhere right now, and personally, I put it on just about everything I eat — except dessert! Whenever we have tacos or burritos, I just set a bottle of this hot chili sauce on the table so that people can add as much spice as they like. And actually, I’ve started putting the sriracha sauce on the table for just about every meal, no matter what we’re having!
So after I made sheet pan Italian stuffed peppers a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to experiment with other flavors. We usually have tacos or burritos about once a week — The kids are very good about observing Taco Tuesdays. But since the Hubs is trying to cut down on carbs, I decided to ditch the tortillas and make taco stuffed peppers, instead.
Adding the sriracha sauce came to me a little later, but I wanted to try using it as more than just a condiment. So, it takes the place of the usual tomato sauce in traditional stuffed peppers. I added black beans, since we usually have them in tacos, but if you’re following a strict low carb diet, you can definitely leave them out.
This is definitely a quick and easy meal and perfect when you don’t have a lot of time to cook. Just brown the beef with some onions and jalapenos, add the seasonings and sauce and the beans, and that part is done. Then you stuff the peppers with the meat mixture and bake them on a sheet pan for a few minutes.
When the peppers are barely soft, throw some shredded cheese on top. As you can see, I wasn’t neat about the cheese at all. I just tossed some on top of the peppers and let them cook for a couple of minutes longer until the cheese was melted and nice and stretchy.
Yum. You have to love that stretchy cheese! I used a Mexican blend, but you can use cheddar or whatever combination you want.
Not gonna lie — these stuffed peppers are definitely spicy. We topped ours off with some sour cream to cut the spice a little, and even the kids were fine with it.
How to Make Sriracha Beef Taco Stuffed Peppers
Sriracha Beef Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sriracha sauce
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and spread 1 tablespoon olive oil on sheet and on bottoms and sides of peppers. Place peppers, cut sides up, on baking sheet, and set aside
- Saute onions and jalapeno peppers in 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium high heat until slightly soft
- Add ground beef, cook until brown, and add seasonings
- Stir in water and sriracha sauce, then stir in black beans and 1/2 cup cheese, and remove from heat
- Fill peppers with meat mixture, bake for 10 minutes, or until peppers are slightly soft, then top with remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese, and bake until cheese is melted.
- Top with chopped cilantro, if desired
I like to add my own seasoning blend, but if you want to save time, you can always use taco mix. And, you can leave out the jalapeno peppers if you want.
If you try these sriracha beef taco stuffed peppers, let me know how you like them. They were a hit with my family, although like I said, we used sour cream to tone down the heat level!