Beefy 3 Bean Chipotle Chili is hearty, spicy and simmered to perfection in just one pot. It's easy to make and the perfect comfort food for fall and winter!
Growing up, I always thought my mom made the best chili, and it's still one of my favorites. Hers is a very classic chili recipe -- ground beef, kidney beans and easy on the spices. I started out making my own chili the same way, but I eventually came up with several different versions.
I have a recipe for 2 bean chili, and then, there's this one.
This particular chili recipe is spicy and loaded. We're talking 3 different kinds of beans, plus ground beef, tomatoes and spices. It's hearty, filling, and will definitely warm you up when it's cold out!
My kids have all been passing some bug around, and my little guy was out of school for nearly a week. When he finally got his appetite back, he requested this spicy 3 bean chipotle chili for dinner. It's comfort food!
There are a lot of ingredients here, but don't let that intimidate you. After the beef, beans and tomatoes, most of them are spices.
You can make everything in just one pot, and you can easily make it in less than 30 minutes. But, chili is so much better when it simmers for awhile, so give yourself some time to let the flavors all blend together.
I usually let this 3 bean chili hang out on the stove for at least 30 minutes after it's all blended. And you can easily let it go longer than that. If you have the time, you can even prepare everything early in the day and let it simmer in the Crock-Pot!
How to Make Beefy 3 Bean Chipotle Chili
Beefy 3 Bean Chipotle Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil, until slightly clear and soft
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper, and cook until brown
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or longer
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings and fresh bread or crackers
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
If you like comfort food, I think you'll love this easy beefy 3 bean chipotle chili. My family sure did!
Happy Cooking and Eating,