Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole with bacon is a delicious easy side dish recipe that uses a few simple ingredients and takes minutes to prepare. Perfect for holidays or every day dinners.
This easy hash brown potato bake is creamy, cheesy, rich and tastes so good. It’s definitely comfort food. Best of all, you only need 5 main ingredients, plus spices to make it!
Some people call this funeral potatoes or Cracker Barrel potatoes. You can serve it as a side dish for dinner, or for breakfast or brunch.
This classic casserole is also perfect for family gatherings since you can make it ahead of time. And, it’s one of the first dishes to go at potlucks!
How to Make Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
This casserole is one of the easiest recipes ever! I make it even easier by mixing everything in the casserole dish — no need to dirty more dishes!
Just mix your thawed hash brown potatoes with cream of celery soup, sour cream, butter and shredded cheese. I like to season it with a little salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
If you want to make this a 5 ingredient hash brown casserole, you can leave out the seasonings. But, they add so much more flavor!
And, if you want to make hashbrown casserole without sour cream, you can. But, sour cream makes it a little tangier. And, there’s only a half a cup in this recipe.
Next, spread the mixture evenly in the casserole dish. Smooth the top with a large spoon.
Then, bake it for 40 minutes. Before it’s done, add some more shredded cheese and cooked, crumbled bacon to the top.
Bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. You want to let the casserole cool down for a little bit before serving. It stays hot for awhile, so don’t worry about it cooling down too much!
Make Ahead Instructions
To make the casserole ahead of time, mix all ingredients, except for the final layer of cheese and bacon. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
You can also freeze hash brown casserole for later. Just add the cheese topping when baking.
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- 20 ounces hash brown potatoes thawed
- 10.5 ounce can cream of celery soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 ½ cups shredded colby jack cheese or cheddar, divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- cooked crumbled bacon optional
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish or use non stick cooking spray
- Mix all ingredients except ½ cup of cheese and bacon together, and spread evenly in baking dish
- Bake for 40 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and add bacon, if desired. Bake for additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted
More Potato Side Dish Recipes
- Air Fryer Potatoes au Gratin
- Instant Pot Potatoes au Gratin
- Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Instant Pot Potatoes
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!