I’ve been trying out different quick and easy breakfast ideas lately, and yesterday, I whipped up a batch of these savory sausage and egg cups for the family. Made with eggs, cheese, peppers and sausage and cooked in a muffin tin, they’re perfect for breakfast on the go.
We were in a breakfast rut, and that definitely had to change. We usually had sausage and egg breakfast sandwiches on Saturday and pancakes or French toast on Sunday.
And in the fall, we basically had pumpkin muffins, although I shouldn’t complain because that’s the only time we really have them. Plus, they’re so good!
But this year, I’m really making an attempt to try new things. About a week ago, I made some ham and egg cups in a muffin tin with leftover ham, and they were so good that I wanted to try making them with sausage, instead.
Personally, I liked the sausage version much better, and so did the kids. The Hubs is such a die-hard ham fan that he prefers these muffins with ham, but even he thinks the sausage version is pretty decent.
You basically scramble up some eggs, and then you add crumbled breakfast sausage, chopped bell peppers, seasoning and mozzarella cheese. Pour the mix into a muffin tin, bake, and in about 20 minutes, breakfast is served.
Cheesy Sausage and Egg Cups
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup cooked crumbled breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup diced orange bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, scramble the eggs, and add the mozzarella cheese, bell peppers, sausage, ground pepper, salt and Italian seasoning.
- Pour mixture into greased, 12-cup muffin tin.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Add the Parmesan cheese to the tops of the muffins, and remove from oven.
- Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
We had these cheesy sausage and egg cups for breakfast along with a simple fruit salad, but if you’re rushed, just skip the salad, and you’re good to go. You can also heat these up during the week in the microwave, and they’re just as good.
The Hubs likes to eat one on the way to work, and I’ll sometimes have one for a snack — yum!