This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Chipotle lime shrimp is served with quinoa, black beans, avocado and cilantro. It’s a protein-packed meal made easy by using frozen shrimp scampi and is ready in less than 30 minutes!
When it comes to seafood, shrimp is definitely a family favorite. We actually splurged and treated the kiddos to crab legs on Valentine’s Day, and that did not go well at all.
They were awesome, but my offspring hate getting their hands messy, and they didn’t enjoy the whole process of extracting the meat. Shrimp, on the other hand, is always a safe bet around here!
So when I saw this seafood display in the frozen aisle at Walmart yesterday, I knew I couldn’t pass it up. SeaPak® has always been our go-to brand of shrimp, and I love that I can get quality seafood at a decent price from my local Walmart. I live in the desert, so budget friendly options are a tad limited!
I bought a package of shrimp scampi, and I also bought a party size package of coconut shrimp — yum. Since my family is nuts about burrito bowls, I thought I would change up one of our favorite dinners and make a chipotle lime shrimp and quinoa bowl, using the scampi.
I figured we could snack on the coconut shrimp as an appetizer or save it for another day.
Burrito bowls are super easy to make, but this chipotle lime shrimp bowl is the easiest ever. You can use rice for the base, but I absolutely love quinoa, so that’s what I use.
Quinoa takes about 15 minutes to cook, so I made that, and while it was cooking, I made the shrimp. You just saute some chopped onions until they’re soft, and then add a can of black beans.
Then, you push the beans to the side and add the frozen shrimp scampi. It’s perfectly seasoned and comes in its own sauce, which is a huge timesaver. The only other ingredients I added were chipotle powder and a squeeze of lime juice, and that’s it!
How to Make Chipotle Lime Shrimp and Quinoa Bowl
Chipotle Lime Shrimp and Quinoa Bowl
- 1 box SeaPak Shrimp Scampi
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 15- oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Diced avocado and chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the water and quinoa, and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- In a medium saucepan, saute the onion in olive oil until soft.
- Stir in the black beans, and push to the side.
- Place the shrimp in the pan on medium high heat
- As sauce simmers, stir in the chipotle powder and lime juice
- When shrimp is pink, mix shrimp with the black beans, and reduce heat to low
- Spoon cooked quinoa into individual bowls, and top with shrimp and beans
- Garnish with diced avocado and chopped cilantro if desired
My family absolutely loved this, so I’m calling the chipotle lime shrimp and quinoa bowl a success — yea!
And, since dinner was ready in less than 30 minutes, I was a happy mom!
Do you have a favorite shrimp dish? For more ways to shrimp it up, check out these mouth-watering recipes!