This Easy Beef Taco Soup is loaded with seasoned ground beef, black beans and your favorite taco toppings. And it’s ready in less than 30 minutes!
There’s nothing better than a bowl of hot soup on a cold day – It’s the ultimate comfort food! As much as I love soup, we don’t have it as often as I like, just because it doesn’t usually get that cold here. But the other day, it rained, and it was cooler than it had been in a long time, so I made this very simple and easy taco soup.
I already have a recipe for taco soup on the blog, but honestly, I like this new one much better. It’s super simple and made with just about the same ingredients I use to make beef and black bean tacos. And, this taco soup takes less than 30 minutes to make!
Because the soup is so simple, you can pile on all the toppings you want without masking the flavor. And if you want to make this taco soup recipe even easier, you can use taco seasoning in place of the spices.
Whatever is easiest for you, friends!
I like to put out shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, jalapeno pepper slices, tomatoes and radishes — I love radishes! You can make a taco bar and let everyone top the soup with whatever they want.
My younger kids love to swirl gobs of sour cream and cheese into their soups, but I like to add just enough to add a little extra flavor.
How to Make Easy Beef Taco Soup
Easy Beef Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or white onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 32-oz carton low sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, cook onions and jalapeno peppers in olive oil until slightly soft
- Add ground beef, sea salt and pepper, and cook until meat is brown
- Stir in black beans
- Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika and garlic powder, cover and heat until bubbling
- Lower heat to medium stir in chopped cilantro and simmer until ready to serve
- Season with additional salt or pepper, if needed, and serve with tortilla chips and your favorite taco toppings
Friends, this easy beef taco soup tastes amazing when you first make it, but it tastes even better the second day! So if you’re looking for an easy comfort food recipe that works well as leftovers, this is it!