Instant Pot Pasta with Chickpeas is a quick and easy meatless meal made with simple pantry ingredients. A budget friendly recipe for lunch or dinner!
If you’re looking for a cheap and easy recipe with few ingredients, check out this quick Instant Pot Pasta with Chickpeas. It’s super simple, and even my picky eaters loved it!
So, we’re definitely meat lovers, but I like to serve meatless meals so that we’re not eating meat three times a day. It’s definitely easier on the budget!
And you really won’t miss the meat here. The chickpeas add texture and a subtle nutty flavor that goes so well with pasta! This also a great beginner Instant Pot recipe!
Budget Friendly Pantry Meal
You can make pasta and chickpeas (pasta e ceci) with just a few items from your pantry. I also toss in a little shredded Parmesan cheese at the end, but it’s not essential. Here’s what you need:
- Pasta — I use shell pasta, but any short pasta works
- Canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Olive oil
How to Make Pasta with Chickpeas in the Instant Pot
Just add your pasta to the Instant Pot. Then, add your spices and water.
Next, add the can of chickpeas — don’t drain it! Then, add your canned diced tomatoes — undrained.
Don’t stir everything together, just yet. You can mix the ingredients later.
You only need to pressure cook the pasta for 4 minutes. The pot does take a few minutes to reach pressure, but after that, it cooks quickly.
Stir everything together, pour a little olive oil over the pasta, and you’re ready to eat! You can sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese over the pasta when you serve it.
If you have fresh spinach or kale, you can throw some in after pressure cooking. You can also sub chicken or beef stock for the water.
My kids had the leftovers cold the next day!
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Instant Pot Pasta with Chickpeas Recipe
Instant Pot Pasta with Chickpeas
- 1 pound shell pasta
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) undrained
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Add the pasta to the Instant Pot, and pour water over pasta
- Add the sea salt, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper
- Add the chickpeas and tomatoes, but do not stir
- Place lid on pressure cooker, make sure valve is at Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then cook for 4 minutes. Allow a 1 minute natural release, then do a gradual quick release for remaining pressure.
- When pin drops, remove lid, stir, drizzle with olive oil and Parmesan cheese, if using, then, serve immediately
Pin Image to Save the Recipe
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!