These Leftover BBQ Chicken Quesadillas are loaded with flavor and perfect when you need a quick and easy meal. Dinner is ready in just 15 minutes!
Yes, it’s another recipe using barbecue sauce, but it’s a good one. After all, it’s the season for all things barbecue! I first shared this easy cheesey chicken quesadilla recipe over at The Weary Chef, and I couldn’t wait to show it to all of you.
My kids are crazy about quesadillas, so we have them frequently around here. Sometimes, we’ll have plain cheese, but for dinner I like to make them a littls more substantial.
I almost always have leftover cooked chicken in the fridge, and it’s great for whipping up quick and easy meals the next day. I usually make chicken and black bean quesadillas, but this time I wanted to do something just a little bit different.
We also had some leftover corn on the cob, so I decided to combine the chicken and the corn along with some barbecue sauce, and use that as the filling for the quesadillas. Oh, can’t forget about the cheese! I used shredded cheddar, but you could probably use a Mexican blend too. Actually, just about any kind of cheese would work here.
I heated the chicken and corn mix in a small pot, and then, I stirred in a little bit of sauce. You don’t need that much — just enough to kind of hold the ingredients together and add some flavor. If you don’t have any leftover corn, then you can just use canned or frozen corn, instead.
Next, it’s time to build the quesadillas. I used small, taco-sized tortillas, so these are like mini quesadillas. But they’re bite sized and fun to eat, especially for kiddos. If you have large burrito-sized tortillas, you can use those and just adjust the amount of filling.
We like flour tortillas, but you can use corn or any kind you like.
How to Make Leftover BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
Leftover BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- 1 cup cooked diced chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 small tortillas
- Sour cream optional
- Cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, heat the chicken with the BBQ sauce and corn. Set aside.
- Place tortillas, one or two at a time, on a hot griddle or pan. Spread some cheese and some of the chicken mixture over each tortilla.
- Top with another tortilla, and carefully flip the quesadillas to brown both sides of the quesadillas.
- Remove from heat when cheese is melted, and both sides are brown and slightly crisp.
- Cut into triangles and top with a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve with additional barbecue sauce if desired.
I topped the finished quesadillas with some sour cream, and I also served some extra barbecue sauce on the side. My kids love that stuff!
These Leftover BBQ Chicken Quesadillas take just about 15 minutes to make, so they’re perfect when you’re in a hurry or on those days when you don’t have a lot of energy to cook a big meal — know what I mean? That’s why I love cooking with leftovers.
And, my family absolutley loved them. In fact, the kids keep asking when we’re having them again, which is always a good sign.
TT&J, Met Monday