Prepare this Make Ahead Sausage Sourdough Breakfast Casserole at night and bake it the next morning for a quick and easy holiday!
This easy overnight breakfast casserole recipe is made ahead of time and baked in the morning. It’s loaded with sausage, eggs, sourdough bread and a mix of pepper jack and cheddar cheese, which makes for a delicious breakfast or brunch anytime. But, it’s absolutely perfect for for the holidays. And friends, the holidays will be here before you know it!
We never make a big deal out of breakfast for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I usually serve homemade cinnamon rolls and nut rolls, which aren’t exactly easy to make, but because you make them in advance, there’s no cooking breakfast on the actual holiday.
Personally, I prefer savory breakfasts over sweet, and while I’d never pass up a homemade cinnamon roll, I like having something savory and a little more substantial to go with it. And, now that the kids are getting older, they like breakfast casseroles for Thanksgiving and Christmas as much as I do!
I made a Lemon Blueberry Bagel Breakfast Casserole for Easter, so I wanted to make a different make ahead breakfast casserole for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I found this cheesy sausage and egg breakfast bake in my mom’s old recipe stash, and I couldn’t wait to make it!
This is a basic breakfast casserole recipe, but the possibilities for jazzing it up are endless. The original recipe called for plain bread, but I used sourdough, instead. I also added a mix of cheddar and pepper jack cheese instead of only cheddar.
Making this sausage sourdough breakfast casserole is super easy, and you can throw it together late at night like I did! All you do is
- Cook the sausage
- Cut up the bread
- Whisk the egg mixture
- Layer all the ingredients in a baking dish
- Refrigerate and bake in the morning
Easy peasy. The next time I make this sausage and egg breakfast casserole, I want to experiment with different flavors and, maybe, throw in some potatoes for an even heartier dish. I might even add some bell peppers and green chiles for a more Southwestern vibe. There really are no rules here, folks!
Looking for more holiday breakfast recipes?
- Eggnog Pancakes
- Eggnog French Toast
- Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Lemon Cranberry Muffins
Recipe for Make Ahead Sausage Sourdough Breakfast Casserole
Make Ahead Sausage Sourdough Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 6 slices sourdough bread, cut into large squares
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Crumble sausage into a large frying pan, season with minced onions and Italian seasoning, and cook until brown and slightly crisp
- Drain sausage on a paper towel-lined plate, and set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper together
- Place the cut bread evenly in a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish, and top with sausage and shredded cheese
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the top, cover, and refrigerate overnight
- The next morning, remove cover, and bake in a 350-degree oven for 45 minutes, or until casserole is heated through
- Top with extra shredded cheese, if desired
This make ahead sausage sourdough breakfast casserole was a big hit with my crew. I hope you enjoy is as much as we do!
Sharing at Weekend Potluck