When I was growing up, we hardly ever had asparagus, but when we did, it came straight from the can. Not to offend anyone, but this totally made me gag. It was mushy, chewy and very difficult to swallow, at least for me!
So when my husband suggested trying some asparagus one day, I fought it hard. But he very skillfully persuaded me to try the hated veggie by insisting that fresh asparagus was completely different from canned. And I'm so glad I gave in, because I absolutely loved it! And what's more, the kids loved it too!
I don't recall exactly how we first began cooking asparagus, but this is how I make it now. Mainly, I just sautee it in some olive oil, and top it with lemon, cooked bacon and Parmesan cheese.
To keep it simple, I plan ahead and use leftover bacon for extra flavor. And to ensure that this recipe is budget friendly, I also buy shredded Parm at the store.
How to Make Sauteed Asparagus with Bacon, Lemon and Parmesan Cheese
Sauteed Asparagus with Bacon, Lemon and Parmesan
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lemon wedge
- Dash of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 strips of crumbled cooked bacon
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Wash the asparagus well under cold water, and pat dry.
- Trim the ends at the part where the stalks naturally bend ( I saw this on TV, and it really does help to keep from eating the tough ends.)
- Heat the butter and olive oil on medium heat in a skillet, and add the asparagus.
- Cook for about 6 to 10 minutes or until just tender. You can cook it longer, but we prefer it on the crunchy side. Right before the asparagus is done, warm the cooked bacon in the skillet.
- Sprinkle with the sea salt, pepper, lemon juice and Parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
Someday, I want to try asparagus wrapped in bacon, but in the meantime, this is an easier way to get the flavor without turning on the oven. My kids can be picky, but even the little guy likes this recipe, and the other kids enjoy it too, for the most part!
Thanks so very much for stopping by!