Spicy Andouille Sausage Tortellini Soup with spinach and diced tomatoes is a delicious blend of Cajun and Italian flavors that warms you up on a cold day!
This soup recipe is one of the easiest recipes you can make — really! In fact, the Hubs made it for me last week when I was sick and craving some serious comfort food. And if he can do it, anyone can!
I was planning on making this tortellini sausage soup myself, but after the kids graciously shared whatever bug they were passing around with me, I wasn’t exactly in the mood to cook. And nobody wants to eat food prepared by a sneezing, coughing chef!
But like I said, this is such an easy soup recipe that all I had to do was tell the Hubs what to do, and in less than an hour, the soup was on the table.
All you do is fry some onions and garlic until they’re soft, and then you add smoked andouille sausage. Since the sausage is already cooked, it only takes a few minutes.
Add some chicken broth, tortellini and a few other ingredients, and you’re done! We also added some chopped fresh spinach right before serving the soup. It’s just a little fresher this way. The kids protested, but I love the added flavor and color and, of course, the extra nutrients!
You can easily make this soup a 30 minute meal, but it tastes even better after it simmers on the stove or in the slow cooker. We actually made this tortellini sausage soup in the Crock-Pot the second time, and it was perfect! Just heat the ingredients, dump everything into the slow cooker and add the tortellini at the end — perfect!
How to Make Spicy Andouille Sausage Tortellini Soup
Spicy Andouille Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 12-oz package Andouille sausage, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 32-oz cartons organic, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning blend
- 2 cups fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- In a large pot, saute the onions and garlic until soft and clear
- Add sausage, and cook until slightly brown
- Add chicken stock, diced tomatoes, paprika, pepper and Italian seasoning, cover and simmer until hot
- Stir in tortellini, and cook until done
- Add chopped spinach right before serving, or serve on the side
This spicy andouille sausage tortellini soup will warm you up when it’s cold out, and it’s definitely comfort food. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!