Banana Applesauce Muffins with chocolate chips are made without oil or butter and bake in just 20 minutes. An easy banana muffin recipe everyone loves!
These are basically banana muffins with applesauce used in place of oil or butter. They're lighter and lower in fat than regular banana muffins, and they're absolutely delicious!
I had a bunch of bananas to use up, so I made these muffins twice last week. And then I realized that I had never updated this post that was originally published way back in 2014.
So, I took new pictures, wrote a printable recipe card, and baked another batch of these banana chocolate chip muffins just for you all to enjoy! Seriously, these babies go fast!
How to Make Banana Muffins with Applesauce and No Oil or Butter
In this muffin recipe, the applesauce takes the place of oil and butter. I used unsweetened applesauce in the recipe because that's what we always have on hand.
These muffins are made from scratch, Y'all. If you want an even quicker muffin recipe, try these 2 ingredient banana muffins made with cake mix!
You can make the muffin batter in one bowl. Just combine your dry ingredients, and then mix in the wet ingredients.
The chocolate chips are optional, but the kids and I highly recommend them. Everything tastes better with chocolate, you know!
Pour the muffin batter into a prepared muffin pan. You can use nonstick spray or paper or silicone muffin liners for easier clean up.
In fact, they were turning brown after only 10 minutes, so I tested them early, but they weren't done. It took about 18 minutes, and they were perfect!
They're slightly sweet, but not too sweet -- perfect for an easy breakfast, brunch or snack time! Mornings are always hectic here, so I love it when I can give the kids a quick breakfast.
Now, I am most definitely not a morning person, so I usually make muffins the day before and set them aside. Hopefully, these banana applesauce muffins will still be there in the morning!
Are These Banana Muffins Healthy?
These muffins are lower in fat since they are made without oil or butter. But, they do have brown sugar and chocolate chips, so they're not the healthiest muffins on the planet. They taste good, though, and they're made from scratch!
More Recipes with Mashed Bananas
Banana Applesauce Muffins Recipe
Banana Applesauce Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- ⅓ cup all-natural unsweetened applesauce I used a single serving cup that I normally pack in the kids' lunches, and it was ⅓ cup.
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash bananas with a fork, and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the bananas, applesauce and egg, and mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into a muffin tin that has been sprayed with non stick spray or use paper or silicone muffin liners for easier clean-up. Fill cups about ⅔rds full
- Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and tops spring back when touched.
Recipe was originally published in 2014 and updated in January 2020.
As you can see, my little helpers decided to have some fun when I was taking the pictures.