Crock Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup is an easy slow cooker soup recipe with tender chicken, cheesy tortellini and fresh vegetables. The whole family will love this delicious chicken soup!
Slow cooker chicken tortellini soup is a delicious variation on the classic chicken noodle soup recipe. Instead of adding egg noodles or spaghetti pasta to the chicken soup, you add fresh tortellini pasta at the end.
The cheese tortellini adds extra flavor and a little bit of creaminess to the broth. I have been making chicken soup with tortellini for a few years now, and my entire family loves this easy chicken tortellini soup -- even my picky eaters gobble it up!
This hearty soup requires minimal prep and comes together easily. The best thing about slow cooker soups you can make the entire meal in one pot and not have to fuss over it on the stove top. So, it's a great recipe for busy nights. Just add crusty bread and a little Parmesan cheese, and dinner is served!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup Ingredients
You can find the simple ingredients for this simple soup in your grocery store or online.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts -- 1 ½ to 2 pounds is perfect. You can sub chicken thighs or rotisserie chicken if you want.
- Chicken broth -- I use low sodium chicken broth or homemade chicken broth if I have it.
- Fresh tortellini -- Cooks in minutes! Use frozen tortellini or dry tortellini if you have it.
- Onion -- for flavor. You can sub dried minced onions or onion powder if needed.
- Garlic -- Sub garlic powder if needed
- Carrots -- I use 2 large carrots, but baby carrots also work.
- Fresh spinach -- You can use baby kale or celery instead.
- Seasonings -- sea salt, ground black pepper and Italian seasoning.
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup in the Crock Pot
Basically, you cook chicken breasts in the Crock-Pot along with onions, garlic, carrots, salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
I like to add a little olive oil or cooking spray on the bottom of the slow cooker. Then, add the chicken and season it well.
Next, add the onion, garlic and sliced carrots. If you want to add celery, throw it in now.
Then, pour in the chicken broth, and cover with the lid.
Cook the crock pot chicken soup for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low.The total cook time may vary with different brands of slow cookers.
When the chicken is done, shred chicken using a couple of forks, and return to the crock pot.
Add the tortellini and spinach, and cook on high for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Tortellini Soup
I definitely recommend storing the leftover tortellini separately. Otherwise, you may end up with a bowl of bloated pasta!
Refrigerate leftover tortellini and soup in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can freeze the soup for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container.
Reheat the chicken soup on the stove or in the microwave for individual portions. Add more broth to the soup if necessary when reheating.
You can make this chicken tortellini soup recipe with rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken.
Serve the soup immediately after the tortellini is cooked for best results.
Add more seasoning when serving the soup, if needed. The taste will vary with different brands of chicken broth or tortellini.
You may want to add more broth or water after adding the tortellini.
To make creamy chicken tortellini soup, add 1 cup half and half or heavy cream before adding the tortellini.
Crock Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced thin
- 1 small yellow onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning mix
- 2 cups fresh spinach torn
- 20 oz cheese tortellini fresh
- Add olive oil or spray bottom of crock pot with cooking spray
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker, and add salt and pepper and Italian seasoning
- Add garlic, carrots, onions, and chicken broth, and cover
- Cook 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low or until chicken is cooked through and 165 degrees f internally and carrots are tender
- Remove chicken to a plate, and shred with 2 forks
- Place shredded chicken back in slow cooker, and add tortellini and spinach
- Cook until tortellini is done, about 15-30 minutes. Serve immediately
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
For more easy crock pot soup recipes and easy recipes your family will love, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow me on social media.
Recipe first published in 2016 and updated in 2023.