Make the best Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches with chuck roast and pepperoncini peppers in your slow cooker using this easy Italian beef recipe. An easy meal perfect for game day!
Easy Italian Beef Recipe
My family loves Italian beef sandwiches with melty cheese and pepperoncini peppers on hoagie rolls. This easy recipe is a family favorite and a mom favorite because it is super easy to make!
Since I don't have a Portillo's near me, I started making these hot beef sandwiches in my Instant Pot. Now, I make this easy recipe in the slow cooker because slow cooking fits our busy schedule better, and we love them this way!
Just add the ingredients to your crockpot, shred the meat after cooking, assemble the sandwiches, and dinner is ready. Yum!
There are just a few simple ingredients in this Italian beef sandwich recipe. You can find them in your grocery store. Full amounts are in the printable recipe card below.
- Boneless chuck roast -- this cut of beef is the best for shredded beef in the slow cooker. Alternately, you can use a rump roast, but they are not always as tender as chuck.
- Seasonings -- salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and dried minced onions. You can sub a packet of dried Italian dressing mix if you like.
- Pepperoncini peppers -- I like sliced peppers for this recipe, but whole peppers are fine. Look for mild peppers or banana peppers if you want less spice.
- Beef broth -- or beef stock. I use low sodium beef broth.
How to Make Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches
First, spray the slow cooker with non stick spray. Then, pat the roast dry using paper towels, and place the roast in the bottom of the crockpot.
Sprinkle the seasoning mix on top of the roast.
Next, pour the peppers and a little bit of liquid over the beef roast. Add the beef broth, and place the lid on the crockpot.
Cook the roast for 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. The low setting is best for turning this tough cut of beef into tender beef sandwiches, but I have cooked this on high without any problems.
Shred the meat using 2 forks, and allow it to sit in the delicious cooking liquid until you are ready to serve.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
I like to place provolone cheese slices in crusty rolls and heat in the oven until the cheese melts. Use kitchen tongs or a slotted spoon to scoop up the beef, and let some of the juices drip back into the crockpot.
While you want the sandwiches to be juicy, too much liquid makes them soggy. You can serve the sandwiches au jus with the juice in a small bowl on the side.
Add the shredded beef to the warm rolls, and serve warm. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese for a cheesier sandwich!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover beef in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days. I think it actually tastes better the next day!
You can freeze the meat in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Reheat leftover Italian Beef in the microwave or on the stove.
You can sear the roast on the stove before slow cooking. I skip this step because I like the texture better when the meat is not seared before slow cooking.
Pepperoncini peppers are usually found in the same section of the store as pickles and olives. Sometimes, they are in the international section.
You can serve these Chicago style sandwiches with giardiniera, which is an Italian relish made with pickled vegetables. It is usually in the same aisle as the peppers.
Be sure to add a little of the pepperoncini juice when you add the peppers. It will help tenderize the meat and add tons of flavor!
More Crock Pot Beef Recipes
Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 3 pound chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers with juice (about ½ of a 16-ounce jar)
- ½ cup low sodium beef broth
- crusty rolls
- provolone cheese
- Spray crockpot with non stick spray
- Pat roast dry with paper towels, and place in bottom of slow cooker
- Season with Italian seasoning, sea salt, garlic powder, onions and pepper
- Pour beef broth around the meat, and top with pepperoncini peppers and small amount of juice
- Place lid on crock pot, and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low
- Shred beef -- you can do this on another plate or in slow cooker. Return meat to pot to simmer in juice until ready to serve
- To make sandwiches, place sliced provolone cheese on both sides of a cut roll, add shredded beef, place on baking sheet, and bake in 350 degree oven until cheese melts. Top with additional pepperoncini and more juice, if desired
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
For more easy recipes and easy slow cooker recipes, sign up for my weekly newsletter, order my cookbook and follow me on social media.