This Easy Baked Reuben Casserole is just like the classic sandwich, only it cooks in one pan. Perfect for a quick dinner and definitely comfort food!
If you like reuben sandwiches, you’ll probably love this easy reuben casserole. It has everything you find in the classic sandwich — corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing on rye. The only difference is that you add everything to a casserole dish and bake it!
This is another easy recipe I found in my mom’s old collection, and I have to admit that I almost didn’t make it. See, I’m not a fan of Swiss cheese, and the kids aren’t huge sauerkraut fans. And, I honestly prefer ranch dressing over Thousand Island.
But, the more I thought about the flavors in this baked reuben casserole, the more I wanted to give it a try. Plus, I wanted a quick and easy dinner to make on the weekend, and this easy recipe was exactly what I needed.
Basically, all you do is assemble the ingredients in a baking pan, bake it, and you’re done. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
The original recipe didn’t specify the amount of cheese and dressing to use, so I just guessed. My version uses sliced Swiss cheese, but you can use shredded or add more if you want.
I also added salt and pepper to the sauerkraut, since I like to season each layer. And, I just think that sauerkraut tastes so much better when it has some salt and pepper added!
I used Russian rye bread to top off the casserole and mimic the sandwich. And, because I didn’t want the bread to be too dry, I added some melted butter over the top. The original recipe called for bread crumbs, but I just tore the bread into large pieces, which was so much easier!
And you know what? I loved this easy baked reuben casserole, and so did my family. Honestly, even the picky eaters had no complaints, which really surprised me! They ate every bit of it, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and all!
To make this reuben casserole even better, you can
- Add a layer of rye bread or bread crumbs on the bottom
- Add extra cheese
- Substitute provolone cheese for the Swiss
If your’re looking for more easy dinner recipes, try
- Easy Baked Ham and Cheese Sliders with Barbecue Sauce
- Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Hawaiian French Bread Pizza
Recipe for Easy Baked Reuben Casserole
Easy Baked Reuben Casserole
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and drained, with most of the liquid squeezed out
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound sliced corned beef, torn into large pieces
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 4 slices rye bread, torn into smaller pieces
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray, oil or butter
- Spread the sauerkraut evenly over the bottom of the baking dish, and season with sea salt and pepper
- Layer the corned beef over the sauerkraut
- Layer the Swiss cheese over the beef
- Spread the dressing evenly over the cheese, and top with rye bread
- Drizzle the melted butter over the bread
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven, slice, and serve warm
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy baked reuben casserole as much as we did!
Sharing this at Weekend Potluck