This Baked Pierogi Casserole Recipe is made with frozen pierogi and kielbasa in a cheesy creamy sauce. An easy casserole and a delicious dinner perfect for busy weeknights!
I am all about easy recipes and this easy pierogi casserole is both easy and delicious! It requires minimal prep and is super easy to throw together on a busy day. Best of all, my whole family loves this delicious casserole!
This easy dinner starts out with a box of frozen pierogi for convenience. Then, you add some smoked sausage (kielbasa), fried onions, a creamy homemade sauce made from cream cheese and plenty of cheese. Yum.
Piergogi are my favorite comfort food, and I have several pierogi recipes on the blog.
If you're looking for an authentic homemade pierogi recipe, try my cheddar potato pierogi recipe. And be sure to check out my baked pierogies and kielbasa, pierogi stuffed shells, air fryer pierogies and pierogi pizza.
You only need a few simple ingredients for cheesy pierogi casserole. They should be easy to locate in your grocery store.
- Frozen pierogi -- I used 2 boxes of Mrs. T's cheese pierogies but any brand will work
- Onion -- diced and sauteed in butter for extra flavor
- Butter -- for frying the onion
- Cream cheese -- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature, for the sauce
- Sour cream -- for the sauce
- Milk -- 2 percent or whole milk for the sauce
- Cheddar cheese -- shredded cheddar cheese
- Seasonings -- sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder
- Kielbasa -- smoked sausage makes this a hearty casserole
How to Make Pierogi Casserole
First, to pre heat oven to 375 degrees f. Also, spray a casserole dish or glass baking dish with non stick spray.
To make frozen pierogi casserole taste a little more homemade, I like to sauté an onion in melted butter in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. There's nothing like this flavor!
Then, mix cream cheese and sour cream together in a large bowl. Stir in the milk and seasonings, and mix until well blended. Then, stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
Add the frozen pierogi to the baking dish. There's no need to thaw them first! If you're using 2 boxes, they won't fit in a single layer, but that is fine.
These cheesy dumplings will steam in the oven, giving you perfect tender pierogis.
Then, add the fried onion and sliced kielbasa.
Finally, top the pierogi mixture with the remaining cheese. It might seem like a lot of cheese, but this will make the casserole cheesy and delicious!
You can reduce the amount of cheese if you want.
Finally, spray one side of a sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray, and loosely cover the casserole dish with foil. The spray will prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil.
Place the covered casserole in the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes covered. Then, remove the foil, and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the pierogi are fork tender and golden brown.
You can use an instant read thermometer to check that the temperature is 160 degrees.
The flavors of the whipped pierogi filling blend with the smoked sausage, onions and different cheeses to create the perfect casserole.
It's sure to be a new favorite recipe!
How to Store
Store leftover pierogi casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also cover the baking dish with plastic wrap if you have a lot left over.
This delicious casserole is freezer friendly. You can freeze leftover casserole in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
You do not have to boil store-bought frozen pierogi before baking. Just place them into the casserole dish frozen.
No. You don't have to thaw frozen pierogi before cooking.
To make this easy recipe even easier, use a jar of Alfredo sauce instead of making your own sauce. Sub chicken broth for the milk for added flavor.
Try my Instant Pot pierogi casserole if you have a pressure cooker.
You can make pierogi casserole without kielbasa for a meatless meal.
Use your favorite type of cheese. We love a blend of mild cheddar cheese and Colby jack cheese.
If you don't have time to sauté onions, use 1 tablespoon minced onions or 1 teaspoon onion powder.
Baked Pierogi Casserole
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 16 oz boxed frozen pierogi
- 1 pound kielbasa smoked sausage, sliced
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees f
- Spray a casserole dish or 13 x 9 inch pan with non stick cooking spray
- Sauté the onion in melted butter over medium heat until soft. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper and garlic powder until well blended. Add 1 cup cheese
- Place frozen pierogi into prepared baking dish, and add the sliced smoked sausage
- Spoon onions over pierogi, and spoon sauce over pierogi mixture
- Top with remaining shredded cheese. Spray 1 side of a sheet of aluminum foil with non stick spray, and loosely cover casserole with foil
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes covered. Remove foil, and bake for 10-15 minutes longer or until pierogi are fork tender and internal temperature is 160 degrees f.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy my take on an Eastern European favorite! It's a great recipe to have in your weekly rotation and the next best thing to homemade pierogis.
For more easy recipes, family favorite casseroles and easy dinner ideas, follow on social media and subscribe to the weekly newsletter.