This Easy Caprese Chicken recipe with tomato, mozzarella and basil bakes on a sheet pan or in the air fryer in just 20 minutes. A light, quick summer dinner!
If you're looking for a quick and easy chicken recipe that's light and fresh, try this easy recipe for Chicken Caprise. You can make it on a sheet pan or in the air fryer, so clean up is super fast, too!
We love snacking on caprese crackers or caprese quesadillas in the summer. So, I turned our favorite appetizer into an easy chicken dinner!
What is Chicken Caprese
Caprese refers to an Italian salad (Insalata Caprese). It's basically tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese and basil.
If you use garden fresh tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes and add some olive oil, salt and pepper, it's downright heavenly!
We usually eat it as an appetizer over large crackers. But, you can top chicken breasts with sliced mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and make a meal out of it!
How to Make Chicken with Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Basil
I like to use chicken breasts that are as thin as possible and approximately the same size. They cook faster, more uniformly, and they're not as filling.
First, you add a little olive oil to a sheet pan, and rub some over the chicken breasts-- foil is optional. Then, season the chicken, and bake it for about 18 to 20 minutes.
Take the chicken out of the oven. Then, top it with sliced mozzarella cheese and tomatoes.
Next, pop it back into the oven for a few minutes. You just want to melt the cheese a little and let the tomatoes heat up a bit.
Now, take the chicken out and top with a drizzle of olive oil Then, top with fresh basil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
That's it! You have a quick and easy chicken dinner that's light, fresh and pretty dang healthy!
I also added a touch of balsamic vinegar. The good stuff can be expensive, and it's not necessary.
Usually, we just use extra virgin olive oil. If you can't find fresh mozzarella or it's too pricey, use the shredded cheese, instead!
Baked Easy Caprese Chicken Recipe
Easy Caprese Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts thin, about 1 to 1.5 pounds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 large basil leaves sliced
- additional drizzle of olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add olive oil to a large sheet pan.
- Place chicken breasts on sheet pan, and rub some olive oil over chicken. Season with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until chicken is 165 degrees internally and juices run clear
- Remove chicken from oven, and place a slice of mozzarella cheese and tomato on each chicken breast. Return to oven and allow cheese to melt slightly. You can turn oven off so that chicken won't over cook
- Remove chicken from oven, drizzle with additional olive oil, then top with sliced basil leaves and a pinch of sea salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately
Air Fryer instructions
- Rub chicken breasts with olive oil, and season both sides. Air fry at 390 degrees for 18 minutes or until internal temperature is 165. Air fryer times may vary. Top with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and
- Top with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, plus additional olive oil, salt and pepper, and serve. If you have an Instant Pot Vortex plus or Omni plus or similar oven style air fryer, you can use the bake feature or return to air fryer to allow cheese to melt using keep warm or bake feature.