This Easy Caprese Chicken recipe with sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese and basil leaves is an easy dinner perfect for busy weeknights. The whole family will love this quick summer meal.
If you're looking for quick and easy chicken recipes, try this easy recipe for Chicken Caprese. You can make it on a sheet pan or in the air fryer, so clean up is super fast, too!
We love snacking on caprese crackers or caprese quesadillas in the summer. So, I turned our favorite appetizer into an easy chicken dinner!
You just need a few simple ingredients to make this baked chicken caprese recipe. They should be easy to find in your grocery store, farmers market or in your garden.
- Chicken -- boneless skinless chicken breasts. Thinner chicken breasts work best.
- Olive oil -- adds flavor and is an important element in classic caprese salad recipes
- Italian seasoning -- plus salt and black pepper and garlic powder
- Mozzarella cheese -- Use fresh mozzarella slices if you can
- Ripe tomatoes -- fresh tomato slices, either heirloom tomatoes, hothouse tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- Basil -- fresh basil leaves
What is Chicken Caprese
Caprese refers to an Italian salad (Insalata Caprese). It's basically tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese and basil and the colors represent the colors of the Italian flag.
If you use garden fresh tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes and add some olive oil, salt and pepper, it's downright heavenly!
We usually eat it as an appetizer over large crackers. But, you can top chicken breasts with sliced mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and make a meal out of it!
How to Make Baked Chicken Caprese
I like to use chicken breasts that are as thin as possible and approximately the same size. They cook faster, more uniformly, and they're not as filling.
First, you add a little olive oil to a sheet pan, and rub some oil over the chicken breasts-- foil is optional. Place chicken breasts on the sheet pan.
Bake the chicken for about 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown and the internal temperature is 165 degrees f, according to an instant-read thermometer. This is the most accurate way to know when chicken is done.
Take the chicken out of the oven. Then, top it with sliced mozzarella cheese and tomatoes.
Next, pop it back into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts. You just want to melt the cheese a little and let the tomatoes heat up a bit.
Now, take the chicken out and top with a drizzle of olive oil Then, top with fresh basil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
That's it! You have a quick and easy chicken dinner that's light, fresh and pretty dang healthy!
How to Store and Reheat
Refrigerate leftover chicken caprese in an airtight container. It will keep fresh for up to 4 days. Reheat individual portions in your microwave or in the oven at 250 - 300 degrees f.
For best results, you may want to add fresh toppings after reheating.
I also added a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. The good stuff can be expensive, and it's not absolutely necessary. Usually, we just use a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top of the chicken.
If you can't find fresh mozzarella or it's too pricey, use the shredded mozzarella cheese, instead! Use chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat.
For more basil flavor, spread a thin layer of store-bought pesto sauce over the chicken before baking.
To make air fryer caprese chicken, cook chicken in the air fryer, and add toppings after cooking.
What to Serve with Caprese Chicken
You can serve this easy chicken breast recipe over fresh salad greens for an even lighter meal.
Make it a one-pan meal by cooking fresh asparagus or broccoli or green beans along with the chicken.
Easy Baked Caprese Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts thin, about 1 to 1.5 pounds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 large basil leaves sliced
- additional drizzle of olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add olive oil to a large sheet pan.
- Place chicken breasts on sheet pan, and rub some olive oil over chicken. Season with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until chicken is 165 degrees internally and juices run clear
- Remove chicken from oven, and place a slice of mozzarella cheese and tomato on each chicken breast. Return to oven and allow cheese to melt slightly. You can turn oven off so that chicken won't over cook
- Remove chicken from oven, drizzle with additional olive oil, then top with sliced basil leaves and a pinch of sea salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately
Air Fryer instructions
- Rub chicken breasts with olive oil, and season both sides. Air fry at 390 degrees for 18 minutes or until internal temperature is 165. Air fryer times may vary. Top with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and
- Top with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, plus additional olive oil, salt and pepper, and serve. If you have an Instant Pot Vortex plus or Omni plus or similar oven style air fryer, you can use the bake feature or return to air fryer to allow cheese to melt using keep warm or bake feature.
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this easy dinner recipe as much as my family does. This easy chicken recipe is perfect for summer or whenever you want a light dinner.
If you do make this easy recipe, please leave a star rating and/or comment.
For more easy dinner ideas and easy recipes anyone can make, please sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow on social media.
Recipe published in 2020 and updated in 2023.