Grilled Yellow Squash, or summer squash, is an easy healthy summer side dish recipe that takes minutes to cook on the grill. You only need 4 ingredients to make this recipe, and it goes perfectly with chicken, beef, pork or seafood!
This simple summer squash recipe is super easy to make. Just toss with oil, and a few spices, and cook! It's also naturally low fat, low carb and gluten free, so it's suitable for almost any diet and a favorite for summer cook outs!
How to Grill Yellow Squash
First, rinse your squash under cold water, and pat it dry. You don't need to peel yellow squash because the skin is thin.
Cut the squash in half horizontally. Then, cut the halves lengthwise in quarters. Place the pieces in a mixing bowl or pan, and toss with avocado oil, vegetable oil or olive oil. Then, season with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Avocado oil is ideal for grilling due to its higher smoke point. I like to drizzle some over the squash and brush over the grill grates to help prevent sticking. If you don't have avocado oil, use vegetable oil or olive oil.
How Long to Grill
Place the squash on a medium to medium-high grill (around 350 to 375 degrees). Cook the squash for 2 minutes per side, for 3-sided spears.
For 2 sided cuts, grill for 3 minutes per side or until squash is fork tender and cooked through. If you grill until just fork tender, you won't get soggy squash. Sprinkle a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese on the grilled yellow squash before serving for extra flavor!
If you have an indoor grill, such as the Ninja Foodi Grill, prep and season the same way. Then, cook according to manufacturer's directions.
Grill with Zucchini
You can grill summer squash with zucchini. Prep them the same way, and they have the same cook time. We do this every summer, and they turn out perfectly cooked every time.
What to Serve with it
How to Store
You can store leftover cooked squash in a covered container in the refrigerator. It should keep well for about 3 to 4 days without getting soggy.
Grilled Yellow Squash
- 3 medium yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Rinse yellow squash under cold water, and pat dry
- Cut each squash in half and then in quarters, lengthwise
- Toss with avocado oil, and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Brush grill grates with avocado oil, and cook on medium grill (350°) for about 2 minutes per side -- spears have 3 sides, so 6 minutes total, or until fork tender and cooked through
- Serve immediately, or sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese before serving -- optional
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.