Easy Dorito Casserole recipe made with ground beef, taco seasoning, cheese, salsa, sour cream and Doritos tortilla chips is a family favorite! dinner idea! This delicious dinner is hearty comfort food your whole family will love!
This layered ground beef taco casserole with Doritos is the kind of easy dinner recipe you make when you're craving comfort food and you happen to find an unopened bag of Doritos in your pantry.
Somehow, these cheesy tortilla chips found their way into our home. So, I used them to make a Mexican ground beef casserole-- kind of like a taco bake or Southwestern Lasagna.
It's loaded with layers of cheese, taco meat and crunchy Doritos. It's an easy weeknight meal and a great recipe that's perfect for Taco Tuesday. Even my picky eater loves it!
This easy ground beef recipe is made with simple ingredients. You probably have most of them in your pantry or fridge right now:
- Lean ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese
- Sour cream
- Salsa -- use hot or mild
- Nacho Cheese Doritos
- Water or beef broth
- Jalapeno peppers (optional)
A lot of Dorito casserole recipes call for a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup, but this one doesn't. I don't think you need it since you get creaminess from the sour cream and the shredded cheese.
How to Make Dorito Casserole with Ground Beef
First, start out by browning the ground beef and chopped jalapeño peppers in a large skillet over medium heat.
If you don't have fresh jalapeño peppers, you can use a can of Rotel tomatoes, green chiles or a can of jalapeño peppers.
You can also leave the peppers out completely if you want a milder casserole. My kids love spice, but not everyone does.
Just mix it into the beef and add some water or beef broth for extra flavor. Then, stir in your sour cream.
Crush up some Doritos, and add a layer of Doritos into a greased casserole dish. You want them crushed into smaller pieces, but don't crush them up too fine -- otherwise, they'll turn to mush!
Next, layer part of the cooked ground beef mixture, a cup of cheese and some salsa over the Dorito chips. Repeat the layers until everything is used up.
You should end with a layer of crushed Doritos and shredded cheese on top. I usually add more cheese right before serving so that it's nice and melty! Nothing wrong with loads of cheese here!
Pop the taco casserole into the oven for about 15 minutes or until it's hot and bubbly. Add even more shredded cheese on the top if you want right before serving.
And that is it, my friends! This easy ground beef taco bake is perfect when you need comfort food in a hurry!
You can use your favorite taco toppings on this ground beef casserole:
- Sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Lettuce or salad
- Easy Homemade Salsa
- Pico de gallo
- Green Onions
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
This taco bake makes a lot of food. I love using the leftovers later in the week for easy dinners during the school year.
To store the casserole, cover it in plastic wrap or transfer to a covered container. It keeps well for 3 to 4 days. For longer storage, place the casserole in a freezer safe container, and freeze.
To reheat, pop it into the microwave until heated through.It's almost better the next day since the tortilla chips are soft. Almost like beef enchiladas!
Make this hearty casserole even heartier by adding black beans and corn to your meat mixture.
You can make Dorito Chicken Casserole by using cooked chicken, ground chicken or rotisserie chicken. Cool Ranch Doritos go well with this version!
I have tried using cream cheese in place of sour cream, but it wasn't as creamy as I wanted. Sour cream blends much easier.
Easy Dorito Casserole Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- taco seasoning 2 to 3 tablespoons homemade or 1 packet
- 1 cup water or beef broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- Doritos tortilla chips (about 4 cups crushed) use as much as you need
- 3 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups salsa use your favorite here
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees f
- Brown the ground beef and jalapeno pepper in a large skillet
- Drain grease if necessary, and add taco seasoning and water, and simmer until most of water is absorbed
- Turn off heat, and stir in sour cream until well blended.
- Spray a medium casserole dish with cooking spray, then add enough crushed Doritos to cover the bottom of the dish
- Layer half of the ground beef mixture over the Doritos, then add 1 cup shredded cheese and 1 cup of salsa
- Repeat layers, ending with crushed Doritos, followed by shredded cheese on top
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Add more cheese to top before serving, if desired
Want more easy recipes like this one? Be sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter!