Easy Doritos Casserole recipe is made with layered ground beef, cheese, salsa, sour cream and Doritos tortilla chips. A delicious family dinner idea!
This layered Doritos casserole is the kind of easy dinner recipe you make when you’re craving comfort food and you happen to find an unopened bag of Doritos in your pantry. It’s easy, cheesy, crunchy, super flavorful and just plain delicious!
Nacho cheese Doritos are seriously addictive, which is exactly why I don’t usually have them in the house. Somehow, these cheesy chips found their way in, so I used them to make a Mexican ground beef casserole– kind of like a taco bake or Southwestern Lasagna.
This easy ground beef recipe is made with seasoned hamburger meat, cheese, sour cream and salsa — and of course, Doritos! A lot of recipes for ground beef casseroles use a can of cream soup, but this one doesn’t. I don’t think you need it since you get creaminess from the sour cream and the shredded cheese.
How to Make Dorito Casserole with Ground Beef
first, Start out by browning the ground beef and chopped jalapeño peppers in a large skillet. If you don’t have fresh jalapeño peppers, you can use a can of Ro-Tel or a can of jalapeño peppers.
You can also leave the peppers out completely if you want a milder casserole. My kids love spice, but not everyone does.
Just mix it into the beef and add some water. Then, stir in your sour cream.
Crush up some Doritos, and put them into a greased casserole dish. You want them crushed into smaller pieces, but don’t crush them up too fine.
Next, layer the cooked ground beef, cheese and salsa over the Doritos. Repeat the layers until everything is used up.
You should end with a layer of crushed Doritos and shredded cheese on top. I usually add more cheese right before serving so that it’s nice and melty!
Pop the casserole into the oven for about 15 minutes or until it’s hot and bubbly. Add more cheese on the top if you want right before serving.
And that is it, my friends! This easy ground beef taco bake is perfect when you need comfort food in a hurry!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
This taco bake makes a lot of food. I love using the leftovers later in the week for easy dinners during the school year.
To store the casserole, cover it in plastic wrap or transfer to a covered container. To reheat, pop it into the microwave until heated through.
It’s almost better the next day since the tortilla chips are soft. Almost like beef enchiladas!
Recipe was originally published in 2019 and updated to make it easier in 2020.
Easy Doritos Casserole Recipe
Easy Doritos Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- taco seasoning 2 to 3 tablespoons homemade or 1 packet
- 1 cup water or beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Doritos tortilla chips (about 4 cups crushed) use as much as you need
- 3 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups salsa use your favorite here
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Brown the ground beef and jalapeno pepper in a large skillet
- Drain grease if necessary, and add taco seasoning and water, and simmer until most of water is absorbed
- Turn off heat, and stir in sour cream until well blended.
- Spray a medium casserole dish with cooking spray, then add enough crushed Doritos to cover the bottom of the dish
- Layer half of the ground beef mixture over the Doritos, then add 1 cup shredded cheese and 1 cup of salsa
- Repeat layers, ending with crushed Doritos, followed by shredded cheese on top
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Add more cheese to top before serving, if desired
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!