Taco Tater Tot Casserole combines seasoned ground beef, corn, salsa and cheese for an easy Mexican style hot dish dinner the family will love!
If you're wondering what to make for dinner tonight with ground hamburger meat, this delicious Mexican tater tot casserole is for you. It's different from the usual ground beef recipes, and it's also very kid friendly and super easy to make.
It's basically your favorite hot dish with kicked-up flavor and lots of cheesy goodness. If you like ground beef tacos as much as we do, you're going to love this taco tater tot casserole!
This is a very versatile dish that you can easily customize to suit your family's tastes. You can add black beans or refried beans, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers -- pretty much whatever you want!
How to Make Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
I use my recipe for homemade taco seasoning, but you can use a packet if you have one. Then, stir in a little sour cream, and you're ready to layer the casserole.
Start with the taco meat on the bottom. Spread some Mexican blend cheese over the meat, then add a layer of corn.
Top this with some chunky salsa or green chiles if you have some. Then, add your frozen tater tots and a little bit more cheese.
Bake the casserole until it's hot and bubbly, and you're done! You can add a little bit more cheese to the top if you want. You can never have too much cheesy goodness, ya know!
This is pretty much a one dish meal. But, you can serve the casserole with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and guac if you want. A simple side salad works well, too!
If you want to make the taco tater tot casserole ahead of time and freeze for later, just follow the same steps. Use a dish that goes from freezer to oven.
Instead of baking it right away, cover and wrap it up well with foil. When you're ready to use the dish, just pop it into the oven and bake!
Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- taco seasoning homemade or a packet
- ½ cup low sodium beef broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- 11 ounce can shoe peg corn
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese divided
- ¼ cup chunky salsa add more if you want
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots or enough to cover the dish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cook ground beef in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat until no longer pink, and add taco seasoning as it cooks. If not using lean beef, drain the fat, then season the meat.
- Stir in beef broth, and cook until bubbling. If mixture seems too dry, add a little more broth
- Remove from heat, stir in the sour cream, and transfer to a greased baking dish
- Top with 2 cups of cheese, then add corn and salsa, and top with tater tots and remaining cheese
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated throughout and bubbly. Broil for 5 minutes at the end, if desired, and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.