Easy Toffee Bars have a buttery brown sugar shortbread crust topped with melted chocolate, butterscotch chips and toffee bits. An easy dessert recipe!
If you need an easy fall dessert, Thanksgiving dessert or bar cookie for Christmas holiday cookie party, these Toffee Bars are for you! They have a melt-in-your-mouth shortbread crust topped with a layer of smooth semi sweet chocolate, butterscotch morsels and crunchy toffee bits, and they are absolutely delicious!
I found this easy recipe for toffee bars in my grandma's old recipe collection. I hadn't had them in ages, but I remember really enjoying them (probably a little too much) around Thanksgiving and Christmas! Actually, you can enjoy these anytime!
To be clear, these are not toffee bars with sweetened condensed milk or Saltine toffee bars made with crackers. They're more of a cookie bar topped with melted chocolate.
How to Make Toffee Bars with a Shortbread Crust
First, take your butter out of the fridge to soften up a little. It makes it much easier to work with!
Then, cream the butter with the brown sugar and an egg yolk. Mix in the vanilla, flour and salt until it's well combined. The dough will be very stiff, but this is normal.
Use Parchment Paper
Parchment paper isn't absolutely necessary, but it makes it so much easier to lift the bars out of the pan for slicing. Less mess, too!
Press the dough into the pan so it covers the bottom. It might go up on the sides a little, which is fine.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown. Don't over bake! Sprinkle your chocolate chips over the crust, and pop the pan back into the oven for about a minute or just until the chips start to melt.
Use a spatula to spread that lovely melted chocolate over the crust. Then, let it cool slightly, and sprinkle your butterscotch morsels and some crushed toffee bits over the chocolate.
If you can't find packaged toffee bits, just smash up a couple of Heath Bars. You might want to save a couple if your kids get any Heath Bars on Halloween!
More Easy Cookie Bar Recipes
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Easy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- Easy Lemon Bars
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Easy Toffee Bars Recipe
Easy Toffee Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- ¼ cup crushed toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and egg yolk
- Stir in the vanilla, flour and salt. Batter will be very thick
- Line a 9 x 13-inch metal pan with parchment paper, (recommended) and press the dough into the pan so that it covers the bottom
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. It may puff up but will settle when cool
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with chocolate chips, and return to oven for 1 minute or until chips start to melt
- Remove from oven, use spatula to spread chocolate evenly over crust, and allow to cool slightly
- Sprinkle butterscotch morsels and toffee bits over melted chocolate, and allow to cool completely before removing from pan ( lift the parchment paper up) and cutting into bars
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.