These Green Chile Cheese Squares are the perfect appetizer for easy entertaining. They're quick, low carb, delicious and made with only 4 ingredients!
I was going through my mom and grandma's old recipe collection, and I found an easy recipe for these simple low carb chile cheese squares. And when I say simple, I do mean simple. Seriously, this may be one of the easiest homemade appetizers ever, and you only need 4 ingredients to make them!
Since the holidays are coming up, I'm trying to plan our menu, and I always like to try things out before serving them to company. Or family, for that matter! I've been searching for easy appetizer recipes, so when I saw these cheese squares, I knew I had to try them out!
Basically, all you need are
- Green Chiles
And that's all, folks! These are kind of like mini crustless quiches, with a Southwestern twist. And they're pretty similar to the Baked Ham and Cheese Cups and Baked Sausage and Cheese Cups I like to make. The only real difference is that instead of baking these in a muffin tin, you bake it in one pan, and then you cut it into small squares before serving.
The original recipe called for using all shredded cheddar cheese, but I used a blend of cheddar and Mexican blend cheese. I just thought that those flavors would go well with the green chiles.
I was tempted to add some hot sauce for extra spice, but I'm glad I didn't. The green chiles add enough flavor, so this is a perfect appetizer for those people who don't like spicy food. You know who you are!
Next time, though, I think I'm going to experiment and make a spicier version of these little chile cheese squares. And then, I can keep these babies all to myself!
If you're looking for more easy appetizers, check these out:
- Pepperoni Pizza Wonton Cups
- Jalapeno Popper Cups with Bacon
- Slow Cooker Honey Chipotle Meatballs
- Crock-Pot Cranberry Orange Meatballs
How to Make Easy Green Chile Cheese Squares
Green Chile Cheese Squares
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ pound grated cheddar cheese
- ½ pound grated Mexican blend cheese
- Grease an 8X8 baking pan with butter, oil or cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs well, and add sea salt
- Spread the chiles evenly over the bottom of the baking pan
- Top with shredded cheese
- Pour the beaten eggs evenly over the mixture, and press down lightly with fork to blend slightly
- Bake for 30 minutes or until firm
- Allow to cool slightly, and slice into 1-inch squares for serving
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
These easy green chile cheese squares are best served warm, but they're also good as leftovers cold, straight out of the fridge! Try them, and see how you like them.