Instant Pot Cherry Dump Cake is a cherry cobbler made in the pressure cooker with cake mix and cherry pie filling. You’ll love this easy dessert recipe!
Can she make a cherry pie? Of course she can! But I cannot tell a lie — This Instant Pot cherry dump cake is way easier!
I’m having one heck of a good time with Instant Pot recipes lately, especially Instant Pot dessert recipes! After I made a deliciously easy Instant Pot peach dump cake last week, someone asked if you could make a cherry dump cake using cherry pie filling. So, of course, I had to try that one out!
And you guys, not only did the cherry dump cake recipe work, my family actually liked it better than the peach dump cake! Seriously, I can’t believe how fast this cake disappeared — both times!
I can’t wait to make even more Instant Pot cake recipes!
How to Make Instant Pot cherry dump cake
What’s a dump cake?
If you’re not familiar with a dump cake, it’s basically an easy cobbler. You dump the fruit filling into a pan, and dump, or sprinkle, cake mix on top. Traditionally, you bake the dump cakes in the oven, but you can make them in the slow cooker and the pressure cooker, as well!
Just grease the cake pan lightly with a little cooking spray, and dump in your cherry pie filling. I used a generic brand, but you can use your favorite brand or make your own.
Since we’re using a smaller pan for this Instant Pot cake recipe, you only want to use half of the cake mix. You can save the other half for next time!
Top the cake mix with slices of butter, then place the pan in the Instant Pot, cover lightly with foil, and pressure cook it!
I like to broil the dump cakes in the oven for about 5 minutes or so after pressure cooking. It makes the topping even better, but it’s an optional step.
For a little extra sparkle and flavor, I sprinkled a little sugar on the top before broiling. So good!
A generous scoop of ice cream is also optional but definitely recommended.
Looking for more dump cake recipes?
Recipe for Instant Pot Cherry Dump Cake
Instant Pot Cherry Dump Cake
- 2 21-ounce cans cherry pie filling
- ½ box yellow cake mix
- 4 tablespoons butter, sliced into pieces
- 1 cup water
- granulated sugar (optional)
- Spray a round oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray, and add both cans of cherry pie filling
- Sprinkle cake mix evenly over top of pie filling, then top with butter
- Pour water into inner Instant Pot, and add trivet
- Place baking dish on trivet, top with aluminum foil, cover with lid, turn vent to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 25 minutes
- Allow a 5 minute natural release, then turn valve and do quick release until pin drops.
- Remove lid, and carefully lift trivet out of pot, using oven mitts. Sprinkle some granulated sugar over the top of the cake, if desired
- Place cake in oven and broil for 5 minutes or until top is golden and slightly crisp
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve and enjoy!
This easy Instant Pot Cherry Dump Cake is our new favorite dessert recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!