Easy Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup recipe made with chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn and chiles is a delicious soup the whole family will love. Perfect for busy weeknights and a great way to warm you up on cold days!
If you're looking for an easy dump and start Instant Pot recipe, you have to try this simple chicken taco soup! Just add everything to the pressure cooker and cook!
The first time I made this chicken soup in my Instant Pot, my daughter wasn't feeling well and requested a bowl of spicy chicken soup for dinner. I'm all about easy recipes, so I made this hearty soup as quick and easy as possible.
I used leftover rotisserie chicken and ingredients from my pantry. How simple is that?
The next time, I made this soup recipe using fresh chicken breasts. But with a prep time of only 5 minutes, it's still super easy. If you want to make this recipe with ground beef, check out my Instant Pot Taco Soup recipe!
As a bonus, chicken taco soup is low in calories and Weight Watchers friendly, with most ingredients at zero points. Just keep an eye on your favorite toppings.
You probably have most of the ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup recipe in your pantry already!
- Chicken breasts -- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Chopped onion or dried minced onions
- Chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Black beans
- Can corn or frozen
- Can diced green chiles
- Taco seasoning
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, and sprinkle on the taco seasoning.
I use my own seasoning mix to cut down on sodium, but you can use a packet of taco seasoning if that's what you prefer.
Personally, I like to sprinkle some seasoning on the chicken and add the rest to the broth before cooking. Layering adds flavor!
But you can do whatever is easier.
Next, add the remaining ingredients. Don't stir it, just dump everything in.
Now, place the lid on the pot, and pressure cook your soup for 10 minutes.
The soup does take several minutes to reach pressure. But, the great thing about Instant Pot cooking is that you can walk away, take a rest or get other stuff done while you're waiting!
Allow a 10 minute natural release after cooking on high pressure. Then, release the pressure valve, and do a natural pressure release. open up the pot, remove the chicken breasts, and shred 'em up.
Return the chicken back to the pot, give it all a good stir, and you're ready to eat! Love those bright and vibrant colors!
Top the Soup With:
- Diced avocado or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Pico de gallo or salsa
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Tortilla chips, corn chips, or tortilla strips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce
- A squeeze of lime
Make this delicious meal even easier by using rotisserie or leftover chicken. You can add cooked hot rotisserie chicken breasts to the pot before pressure cooking and cook for 5 minutes with a 5 minute natural or quick release. The chicken shreds effortlessly!
You can also stir in leftover cooked shredded chicken after cooking the soup. The hot soup will warm up the chicken instantly!
Make it a creamy chicken taco soup by stirring in heavy cream or sour cream after pressure cooking.
Don't have an Instant Pot? You can make chicken taco soup in a slow cooker.
Just add everything to the Crock Pot, with a cook time of 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Shred the chicken, and serve!
How to Store
You can store your Easy Instant Pot Taco Soup in the refrigerator or freezer. It keeps for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
For longer storage you can freeze chicken taco soup. Use a freezer safe container with an airtight lid or a freezer bag to ensure the best tasting left overs.
Reheat the soup in the microwave or on the stove top. This easy dinner can keep the whole family happy even after taco night ends!
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- 3 small chicken breasts 1.5 pounds total or 2 large
- 1 small onion chopped or 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 packet taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 8 ounce can corn
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, and season with sea salt, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder and black pepper. Optional, add some of the seasoning at the end before pressure cooking
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, place the lid onto the pot, make sure vent is set to sealing (newer models may seal automatically), and hit PRESSURE COOK for 10 minutes. Press START, if your model has this option.
- Pot will take several minutes to reach pressure, then will cook for 10 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, carefully open and remove lid, and remove chicken breasts to a plate for shredding
- Return shredded chicken to pot, stir well, and serve
I hope you love Instant Pot Taco Chicken Soup as much as we do!
For more easy soup recipes, Instant Pot recipes and comfort food, be sure to subscribe to the newsletter!
Follow along on your favorite social media accounts to get more delicious recipes!
Recipe published in 2020 and updated in 2021