Ground Beef Vegetable Soup is easy hamburger soup made with fresh vegetables or frozen mixed vegetables. A hearty soup the whole family loves and perfect for soup season!
This delicious vegetable beef soup is one of our favorite healthy soup recipes. It's super versatile, budget friendly and an easy soup recipe even picky eaters like!
My ground beef vegetable soup recipe is a great way to stretch a pound of ground beef and use up fresh veggies. If you don't have fresh vegetables, just use frozen mixed veggies or a little bit of both!
You can make this easy dinner recipe on the stove top, crock pot or in the Instant Pot!
Serve hamburger soup with crusty bread or garlic bread for a complete meal -- it's perfect on a chilly day!
You only need simple ingredients for hamburger vegetable soup. If you don't have these pantry staples at home, you can find them in your grocery store.
- Ground beef -- use extra lean ground beef or lean ground beef if you can
- Potatoes -- Yukon Gold potatoes or red potatoes are perfect since you don't have to peel them
- Green Beans
- Worcestershire sauce -- enhances the beef flavor
- Beef broth -- I use low sodium beef broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce -- adds flavor and adds a little thickness to the soup base
- Onion -- yellow onion or white onion
- Seasonings -- sea salt, black pepper, ground thyme, dried parsley
- Olive oil -- or vegetable oil or avocado oil to sauté the onion
- Optional -- fresh parsley or fresh thyme or other fresh herbs
How to Make Vegetable Beef Soup
First, cook the onion in olive oil in a large pot or large Dutch oven over medium heat until soft and translucent.
Then, add the hamburger meat, and cook until no longer pink. If you are not using extra lean meat, you may have to drain the fat after this step.
Add the garlic and seasonings, and cook until fragrant.
Now, add the potatoes and carrots and beef broth. I like to add the heavier veggies before adding the liquids just to avoid splashing.
It's just a personal preference.
You can add the remaining ingredients. This time I added some frozen corn.
It's a great recipe for using up whatever you have on hand!
Place the lid on the pot, and bring to a boil. Then, turn heat to medium low or a simmer. Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender.
Top with fresh parsley or thyme if you like!
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover ground beef vegetable soup in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It keeps well for 3 to 4 days. Reheat the soup on the stove top or microwave.
For longer storage, freeze the leftover soup in a freezer-safe container or zip top storage bags for up to 3 months.
This hearty ground beef vegetable soup is very easy to customize. Use your favorite frozen mixed vegetables instead of fresh or use a combination of fresh and frozen veggies -- I do this a lot.
For leaner soup, use ground turkey or ground chicken in place of beef. Or use ground pork or ground sausage for a different taste.
For vegetable soup without meat, use vegetable broth and leave out the beef.
Instead of tomato sauce, use tomato soup, tomato paste or marinara sauce. Substitute Italian seasoning or herbes de Provence for the thyme or parsley.
Add noodles or pasta for beef noodle soup. After browning the meat, you can transfer the soup to a slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours. Have a pressure cooker? Try my Instant Pot hamburger soup.
Ground Beef Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes cubed
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 4 cups beef broth low sodium
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups green beans trimmed, cut
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté the onion in olive oil over medium heat
- Add the ground beef, and cook until no longer pink (drain if needed)
- Add the garlic, sea salt, thyme, parsley and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes
- Add the potatoes and carrots, then stir in the beef broth
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and green beans
- Place lid on the soup pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low or simmer, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender, stirring occasionally
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this easy old fashioned vegetable soup as much as we do. My entire family just raves about it!
For more easy dinner ideas, easy soup recipes and more, be sure to sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow on social media.