This Instant Pot Easy Pumpkin Soup recipe is rich, creamy and simple to make from canned pumpkin and a few other ingredients in your pressure cooker.
It’s finally cooling off here, which means it’s time for some easy Instant Pot soup recipes — like easy pumpkin soup. And, this pumpkin soup is one of the easiest Instant Pot recipes you can make. It’s savory, creamy, healthy and the perfect fall soup recipe!
I have an easy pumpkin soup recipe that I usually make on the stove, but since I’m trying to convert some regular recipes to Instant Pot recipes, I just had to try making pumpkin soup in the pressure cooker. I made this pumpkin soup for the kids’ lunch today, and they loved it. My daughter even said it was the best pumpkin soup ever!
I make pumpkin soup without heavy cream — it gets a creamy texture when you blend it. So, this Instant Pot easy pumpkin soup is pretty healthy, but you can definitely add cream in before serving. It makes this delicious soup taste even better!
How do you make easy pumpkin soup in the Instant Pot
I make easy pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin — we’re keeping this as simple as possible! But, to bring out the flavor, I like to heat the pumpkin first.
You can do this right in the pressure cooker on the Saute setting. Just cook the onions and pumpkin with a little butter, and season it.
Then, add some lemon juice and chicken broth, and pressure cook it. If you want to make vegetarian or vegan pumpkin soup, use vegetable oil and vegetable broth. I almost always have chicken broth on hand, so that’s what I usually use.
Instant Pot pumpkin soup takes just 5 minutes to pressure cook. After that, give it a good stir. And to make it super creamy, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it’s nice and smooth.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender or, better yet, the new Instant Pot Ace Blender. I don’t own one yet, but I’m definitely thinking about it!
You can stir in a little bit of cream before serving, or let people add their own if they prefer. But, you don’t have to. This pumpkin soup is so good just as it is!
Looking for more Instant Pot soup recipes?
Recipe for Instant Pot easy pumpkin soup
Instant Pot Easy Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 lemon juice of, or 1 tablespoon
- 1 32-ounce carton low sodium organic chicken broth
- Hit SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the butter and onions, and cook until onions are slightly soft, stirring frequently
- Stir in the pumpkin, sea salt, pepper, sage and lemon juice, and cook until warm
- Hit CANCEL, stir in the chicken broth, and deglaze bottom of pot to make sure pumpkin isn't stuck to bottom. Place lid on Instant Pot, turn vent to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 5 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then cook for 5 minutes and beep after cooking. Allow a 5-minute natural release, then do a gradual quick release to release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, open lid, and stir. Use immersion blender to blend soup until slightly thick and creamy, then serve immediately. You can add a few drops of heavy cream when serving, if desired
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it!
I hope you enjoy this Instant Pot easy pumpkin soup recipe as much as we do!