A Lighter Tater Tot Casserole with ground beef, sour cream, mixed vegetables and without cream of soup is an easy cheesy one dish dinner. You’ll love this delicious hot comfort food!
Tater tot casserole is a classic hot dish dinner that just about everyone loves, right? As much as I hate to mess with a classic easy recipe, I usually make a lighter, slightly healthier version without canned soup.
My version of this ground beef casserole recipe is just as easy, and best of all, it’s still delicious. My picker eaters love it, and that’s definitely a good sign!
If you want to use your favorite cream of mushroom or celery soup, you can just mix it in along with the sour cream or instead of the sour cream before baking.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole with Sour Cream
I used to make the casserole with cream cheese. But, I think sour cream blends better, so that’s what I use now.
First, brown your ground beef, and season it well. I use lean ground beef, so I usually don’t have to drain off any grease. If your hamburger meat isn’t lean, drain it, then add the seasonings.
Next, you’ll add some low sodium beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and sour cream. Then, pour the meat mixture into a greased casserole dish, and top with plenty of grated cheese.
Then, add a layer of frozen veggies. I used a 10 ounce bag, which is slightly more than 2 cups. Next, add enough tater tots to cover the cheese.
We had a big ol’ bag of frozen tater tots, so I didn’t count them. But, you get the idea.
If you have time, line the tots up nice and straight. When I’m in a hurry, I don’t always make sure they’re in neat rows, but it looks a little neater this way.
Finally, add some more shredded cheese over the tater tots, and pop the dish into a preheated oven. That’s all there is to it!
I like to broil the casserole for a little bit at the end to give more crunch and color to the tater tots. It’s not necessary though. You can also add more cheese over the top if you want!
Freeze for Later
If you want to freeze the tater tot casserole for later, assemble the casserole, but don’t bake. Make sure the casserole dish you use is freezer safe. The disposable ones work great here.
Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and foil, just foil, or the lid if your container has one, and pop it into the freezer. When you’re ready to eat, uncover the dish, and bake. Make sure your dish can go from freezer to oven.
Post first published in 2015 and updated September, 2020
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Lighter Tater Tot Casserole
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups grated Colby Jack Cheese or cheddar divided
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots or enough to cover the dish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cook ground beef in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat until no longer pink, and season with sea salt, garlic powder and pepper, as it cooks. If not using lean beef, drain the fat, then season the meat.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth, and cook until bubbling.
- Remove from heat, stir in the sour cream, and transfer to a greased baking dish
- Top with 2 cups of cheese, then layer frozen mixed vegetables, and top with tater tots and remaining cheese
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated throughout and bubbly. Broil for 5 minutes at the end, if desired, and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving
More Easy Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!