Mom’s Best Pot Roast is an easy dinner recipe made with beef chuck roast, carrots and potatoes and baked in the oven until it’s tender, juicy and delicious!
This is my mom’s super easy recipe for pot roast in an oven bag. We had this roast beef dinner all the time when I was growing up, and it was always tender, flavorful and perfectly cooked!
Yes, I’m totally biased, but I just think this pot roast with potatoes and carrots is the best pot roast in a bag recipe ever. It’s also a one pan meal with easy clean-up, so it’s perfect for Sunday supper or busy weeknights!
So, this oven baked chuck roast recipe does use onion soup mix. And if you know me, you know I usually stay away from packaged mixes. But, I really wanted to make my mom’s recipe for my kids and share a recipe that some of you may remember, as well.
I ended up using just half of the soup mix, and it was still good! You can definitely use the whole packet if you want.
Best Meat for Pot Roast
My mom and grandma always used beef chuck roast, and that’s the cut of meat I’ve always used, as well. You can shred it with a fork, and it just melts in your mouth.
You can also try using rump roast, but it really doesn’t shred like chuck. If you want to slice your roast, go with the rump roast.
How To Cook Chuck Roast in an Oven Bag
You should be able to find oven bags in just about any grocery store — usually with the food storage bags and disposable bakeware. You’ll want to read the manufacturer’s instructions before using.
So first, add some flour to the bag, and shake so that it gets evenly distributed. Then, add your chuck roast and veggies around the roast and on top.
I like to add whole garlic cloves to the top of the roast and mash them into the roast after it’s cooked. Oh, talk about flavor!
Add the soup mix, pour in a little beef broth or water, and close the bag with one of the ties that come with the oven bags. Next, use a sharp knife to poke slits in the bag for the steam to escape.
How Long to Cook Chuck Roast in Oven at 350
I cooked the chuck roast in the oven at 350 degrees, and it was done in about 1 hour and 30 minutes. You can test the temperature by inserting a meat thermometer in one of the slits you made for venting.
What I like to do is turn the temperature down to 325 and cook the roast for another hour to an hour and a half so that it gets completely fork tender. You can also remove the contents from the bag into the baking dish if you want to brown the food a little more at the end.
Don’t forget to mash the roasted garlic into the meat for even more flavor. And, be sure to pour those awesome juices over everything before serving!
More Easy Pot Roast Recipes
Pin Image to Save the Recipe
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Mom’s Best Pot Roast Recipe
Mom’s Best Pot Roast
- 1 tablespoon white flour
- 3 pound chuck roast
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes quartered
- 1 pound baby carrots 1 pound bag
- 2 celery stalks cut into thirds with leaves
- 1 onion peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 garlic cloves whole, peeled
- 1 onion soup mix 1/2 packet or whole, if desired
- 1 cup beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place the flour in the oven bag, and shake
- Place chuck roast in bag, place the bag into a 13×9-inch baking pan, and add the potatoes, carrots, celery and onions around the roast
- Place the garlic cloves on the roast, and sprinkle with dry soup mix
- Pour the beef broth in the bag, and use the ties to close up the bag
- Using a sharp knife, cut 6 slits in the top of the bag to allow steam to escape
- Place roast in oven, and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until roast and vegetables are tender, and internal temperature of roast is over 160 degrees according to a meat thermometer
- Optional, remove roast and vegetables from bag, shred or cut roast into large pieces, place into baking dish, with cooking liquids, cover, and bake at 325, adding more broth if needed, until ready to eat
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!