Make the best Instant Pot Pot Roast ever in your pressure cooker with this easy recipe using beef chuck roast and a few simple ingredients.
Some of my very favorite Instant Pot recipes are made with a beef chuck roast. So far, I've made Instant Pot Mississippi Roast and Instant Pot Italian Beef. But this easy Instant Pot Pot Roast may be my favorite beef roast recipe yet!
The best thing about cooking a pot roast in the pressure cooker is it's so much faster than using the stove or slow cooker. You get a melt-in-your-mouth, tender, juicy pot roast in just over an hour. If you're like me, and you forget to plan ahead or you have a change in plans, the Instant Pot is your new best friend!
How do you make pot roast?
Pot roast is simply a beef roast that's usually browned over high heat and then slow cooked in liquid until it's tender. My grandma always made pot roast in the oven in a big old roasting pan. My mom used onion soup mix in an oven bag, and I used to make pot roast in the slow cooker.
What is the best roast for pot roast?
Personally, I think a boneless chuck roast makes the best beef pot roast. But, you can also use bone-in chuck roast, brisket or rump roast.
How to make pot roast in the Instant Pot
I like to cut the chuck roast into 3 pieces, season all sides and brown the meat in the pot. It takes a little more time, but I tried skipping this step, and the roast was cooked and tender enough, but it just lacked that certain depth of flavor that makes a decent pot roast into a truly great roast.
Believe me, I did several experiments here. Let's just say my family has sampled a lot of pot roast recipes lately!
After you brown the meat, let it rest while you deglaze the pot and saute the onion. I do this because we're going for maximum flavor without adding a ton of ingredients or seasoning packets.
My mom used to make the best pot roast with onion soup mix, but I find that adding some dried minced onions and a little bit of Worcestershire sauce adds extra flavor without all the extra sodium.
Add carrots, celery, more broth, and pressure cook it! You can add potatoes too, but we like to eat pot roast over mashed potatoes -- yum! You can use the juices or add a cornstarch slurry to make gravy before serving.
Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
Instant Pot Pot Roast
- 1 3 pound beef chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, cut into large pieces
- 1 pound baby carrots, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup low sodium organic beef broth
- Cut roast into 3 large pieces, and season both sides with sea salt, garlic powder and pepper
- Press SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the olive oil, and brown the seasoned meat on both sides. You may need to do this in 2 batches
- Remove browned meat to a large platter, and cover with foil. Deglaze pot with some of the beef broth, and add onion, and cook until slightly soft
- Hit CANCEL on pressure cooker, then place roast back into pot over onions. Pour remaining beef broth over and around the roast. Add minced onions, Worcestershire sauce, celery and carrots on top
- Place cover on Instant Pot, turn vent to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOk for 50 minutes. Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then begin counting down and cook. When pot beeps, allow a 15 minute natural release, then turn vent to quick release remaining pressure. You can do full NPR if you want
- When pin drops, carefully remove lid. To make a thicker gravy, remove roast, carrots and celery to a platter, using a slotted spoon, and cover. Mix 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl. Hit SAUTE, and when juices start to simmer, slowly stir in the cornstarch mixture, and let simmer until sauce thickens
- Serve separately or pour gravy over roast before serving
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot pot roast recipe as much as we do!