One Pan Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pasta is cheesy, slightly spicy and super easy to make. Best of all, it’s ready in only 30 minutes!
Yes — It’s another one dish wonder here on the blog. I know I just posted one yesterday, but this easy chicken pasta dish turned out so well that I couldn’t resist sharing it right away.
I truly hope you’re not tired of the one dish meals, because they really do make life a lot easier, especially with our crazy schedules.
Anyway, I’ve been seeing so many enchilada pasta recipes, and I’ve been wanting to try my own version for a long time. We absolutely love enchiladas, but they do take some time to prepare. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I don’t always have the extra time or energy on busy weeknights. So, this shortcut method sounded perfect to me.
The first time I made this enchilada skillet, it was still a little too spicy for the kids, even though I used a mild sauce. So this time, I added a little bit of cream to the sauce, and everyone liked it much better. It’s still got a nice kick to it, but the cream helps tone the heat down a notch. It also gives the pasta a smoother consistency, which everyone loved.
If want to make this dish lighter or spicier, just leave out the cream and add a little extra water. And if you make your own enchilada sauce, definitely use that!
You can also use just about any pasta. I personally love mini penne, so that’s what I usually use. But any thick pasta would work here.
To add a little more texture and crunch to the enchilada pasta, I crushed up some tortilla chips and added them over the melted cheese layer. I also topped the pasta off with homemade guacamole, a dollop of sour cream and a few fresh tomatoes.
So there you have it — skillet chicken enchilada pasta that tastes like the real deal without all of the work! It’s perfect for busy weeknights, and you only have one pan to wash.
It’s also a nice change from the usual tomato-based pasta dishes.
How to Make One Pan Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pasta
One Pan Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- 1 pound chicken tenders cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups mini penne pasta uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups mild enchilada sauce
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Sour cream guacamole, tomatoes and cilantro for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large skillet brown the chicken and onions in olive oil
- Add the salt, pepper, cumin and garlic powder
- Stir in pasta, water and enchilada sauce, cover and cook over over high heat until pasta is almost tender
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in cream and cook until pasta is tender
- Top with cheese, tortilla chips and optional ingredients
- Serve immediately
This one pan creamy chicken enchilada pasta dinner was a big hit with my family. I served it with a simple green side salad, and that’s really all you need to make this easy meal complete.
If you try it, let me know what you think!
Have a super day, friends!