Strawberry Pretzel Salad consists of strawberries, Jello and sweetened cream cheese layered over a crunchy pretzel crust. This old-time favorite is perfect for showers, potluck dinners and springtime celebrations!
Old fashioned strawberry pretzel salad made with strawberry Jello and fresh or frozen strawberries is an easy dessert or side dish that's perfect for potlucks, holidays or family gatherings. You'll love this classic salty and sweet recipe!
The kids and I were going through some of their baby pictures the other day. One of the girls had to bring a few older pictures for a school project, and before I knew it, the other kids joined in, and we were knee-deep in a sea of nostalgia. It's hard to believe my babies were that small -- sniff, sniff!
Anyway, all of the reminiscing made me think of an old fashioned strawberry pretzel salad recipe -- amazing how the mind works! It was served at one of my baby showers, and I thought it was one of the best things I'd ever tasted. I don't even remember anything else that was served, but I do remember this dish!
The kids didn't even remember having strawberry pretzel salad, so I thought it would be the perfect time to try it out.
What is Strawberry Pretzel Salad?
If you've never had this dish before, the name is just slightly misleading. It really isn't a salad like we know today. It's a congealed salad made with Jello gelatin and fruit, and it really is more like a dessert. But, it's got strawberries, cream cheese, Cool Whip whipped topping and Jello. In other words -- all things light, fluffy and fruity, so it's perfect for spring -- or summer, or fall or winter holidays!
It's also super easy to make ahead of time and to transport. So, if you've got a shower, potluck dinner or any type of celebration coming up, this sweet and salty Jello salad would be a perfect choice! received!
How to make Strawberry Pretzel Salad
You make the pretzel crust first. You can use a blender or food processor to chop the pretzels or even crush them in a zip-top bag if you want. Then, you mix in a few other ingredients, and press it into a baking dish and bake it for a few minutes until it's slightly crispy.
After the pretzel crust cools, you slather on the layer of sweetened cream cheese, and let it chill out for a little while.
The final layer consists of fresh or frozen strawberries mixed in strawberry Jello, and the end result is just gorgeous. I just love the colorful layers!
So, this isn't exactly what you would call a healthy salad, but it's one of those classic retro recipes that's definitely worth trying. And if you grew up on strawberry pretzel salad and haven't had it in a long time, one bite will take you back.
I hadn't had this since my shower, and tasted exactly as I remembered -- yum!
Can you make strawberry pretzel salad with fresh strawberries?
Yes, you can use fresh or frozen strawberries or slice and freeze fresh berries before assembling the Jello layer. Frozen berries help the Jello layer set faster.
Can you refrigerate strawberry pretzel salad overnight?
Yes you can. It's best eaten within 2 days -- before the pretzel layer starts to get soft.
More Jello salad recipes
Strawberry Pretzel Salad Recipe
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
For the Crust
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup butter melted
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz package of cream cheese softnened
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 8 oz tub of whipped topping like Cool Whip
Strawberry Jello Layer
- 2 10- oz packages of frozen strawberries
- 6 oz package of Jello strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- Mix the crushed pretzels, sugar and cinnamon with the melted butter
- Press into a lightly greased 13 x 9-in baking dish
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, or until firm and crisp. Allow to cool
Cream Cheese Layer
- Mix the cream cheese and sugar until creamy, and fold in whipped topping
- Carefully spread over the pretzel layer, making sure to cover the entire layer all the way to the edges of the baking dish, and refrigerate until firm
Strawberry Jello Layer
- In a large bowl, mix the gelatin with the boiling water until dissolved, and let cool slightly
- Mix the frozen strawberries into the the Jello, and stir until it starts to thicken
- Pour evenly over cream cheese layer
- Refrigerate until Jello is set and firm ( 2 hours to overnight), and keep refrigerated until ready to serve
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this easy strawberry pretzel salad as much as we do!