This Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe made with crispy panko bread crumbs, marinara sauce and cheese is a quick, easy dinner that bakes in 30 minutes!
Easy, cheesy chicken Parmesan, or Parmigiana or, simply, Parm is one of my family’s favorite chicken recipes and definitely falls into the comfort food category! It’s quick enough for weeknight dinners and elegant enough for birthdays and other special occasions.
My version of classic Parmesan chicken uses crispy seasoned panko breadcrumbs and no flour. The baked chicken breasts are then topped off with a little marinara sauce and plenty of gooey melted cheese.
How to Make Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan with Panko
The easiest way to make breaded chicken is to have all of your ingredients measured out and ready to go. Have one bowl for the egg, one for the breadcrumbs/grated cheese and a lightly greased baking sheet set out — kind of like an assembly line.
Also, use the thinnest chicken breasts you can find. Or, slice thick ones in half for faster, even baking.
First, dip the chicken breast into the beaten egg. You want a light coating here. If you don’t want to use egg, use mayo, instead.
Next, dip the chicken into the seasoned bread crumbs/ grated Parm mixture. Press the chicken into the crumbs until it’s lightly coated.
If you make the crumb layer too thick, it won’t be crispy. You can throw a few more crumbs onto the chicken once it’s on the baking sheet if you feel it needs more coating.
Then, place the chicken onto a lightly greased baking sheet. I like to line the sheets with foil for easy clean-up.
If you don’t like the idea of using foil, you can use parchment paper. Or, just skip lining the tray completely!
Spray the chicken lightly with olive oil spray, like Pam. This helps give it a nice golden color. It’s not necessary, but I recommend it!
How Long to Bake at 375
Bake the chicken at 375 for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees. When the chicken is done, take it out of the oven, and spoon a little bit of marinara sauce over each chicken breast.
I like to add some just in the center to keep the chicken crispy. You can use as much as you want, though. Then, top the chicken with provolone and more Parmesan cheese, and broil until melted and bubbly.
I use a combination of provolone cheese and Parmesan. But, you can stick with the usual mozzarella if you prefer.
Serve with Pasta
You can serve chicken Parm over spaghetti or your favorite pasta. We usually use penne pasta.
I like to cook pasta in my Instant Pot, stir in the leftover marinara sauce, and serve that with the chicken.Easy peasy, and you can use the leftover pasta as a side for other dishes.
If you’re looking for a different type of breaded chicken, try our Ritz Cracker Chicken. It’s another family favorite and super easy!
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts or 6 small
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ cups marinara sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese or mozzarella
- Additional Parmesan cheese optional
- olive oil spray optional
- Preheat oven to 375°, and grease a baking sheet with olive oil
- Combine the panko bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder and pepper
- Dip each chicken breast lightly in egg
- Press chicken lightly into the seasoned breadcrumb/cheese mixture, shake off excess, and place on prepared baking sheet
- Spritz lightly with olive oil spray, if desired
- Bake for 25 minutes or until internal temperature is 165° according to a meat thermometer
- Top chicken with marinara sauce, then a slice of cheese and additional shredded Parm, if desired
- Broil until cheese is melted, then serve
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!