The Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with plenty of rolled oats, semi sweet chocolate, a hint of cinnamon and lots of love!
I found this recipe for old fashioned oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in my grandma’s huge stash of saved recipes. It was just a newspaper clipping, with no name or title — most of her saved recipes are like that. But, the cookies sounded good, so my budding-baker daughter and I decided to try them.
And ….. they were good. But they were missing something. So why am I calling these the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies?
Well, we tweaked the recipe and added vanilla extract and a touch of cinnamon. And, since the original recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies had margarine and no butter, we definitely went with the butter!
So, even though I love my Oatmeal Cranberry Walnut Cookies, Oatmeal Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies and No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, these are definitely the BEST oatmeal chocolate chip cookies we’ve ever had!
How to make the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
Not only are these oatmeal cookies incredibly delicious, but they’re also easy, and you only use one bowl to make them. So clean-up is simple, too! Just mix everything together in a large mixing bowl, and place the cookie dough on a baking sheet.
I definitely recommend using silicone baking mats if you have them. Parchment paper is good, too. We tried the baking mats, parchment paper and foil, and the mats won — hands down!
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are light brown around the edges, and that’s it! These chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are soft and chewy in the center and just slightly crisp around the edges.
They’re just plain good — especially when you dunk them in a glass of milk!
Can you use quick oats in cookies?
These cookies call for rolled oats, which gives them a deeper, nuttier flavor. But, you can use quick oats if you have that.
Are homemade oatmeal cookies healthy?
These cookies are healthier than store-bought cookies, and you get more fiber from the oats, but friends, we’re really not talking health food here!
Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2` teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 cup butter until creamy
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract, and beat until creamy
- Add eggs, and beat well. Gradually mix in the flour, then add baking soda, sea salt and cinnamon, and mix well
- Stir in the oats, and mix until well combined, then stir in chocolate chips
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets (silicone baking mats or parchment paper recommended), leaving about 2 inches between each cookie
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and semi firm
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, then transfer to wire rack or cool surface to cool completely
I hope you enjoy the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies as much as we do!