Oatmeal Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies are sweet, chewy and just plain delicious. They’re like the Oatmeal Scotchies you remember, only better!
These chewy, buttery oatmeal cookies are loaded with semi sweet chocolate and butterscotch morsels. Two great tastes in one amazing cookie!
One our favorite cookie recipes is called The BEST Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. We make them very frequently — one taste, and you’ll see why!
So the other day, I made a batch of oatmeal cranberry walnut cookies. And, after Anyway, after we finished that batch, the Hubs suggested that I make his all-time favorite cookies, Oatmeal Scotchies.
The Hubs grew up on Scotchies, but I’ve always loved chocolate chip cookies. So, I just had to add both butterscotch and chocolate morsels to the batter, and we’re both happy!
How to Make Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies with Chocolate Chips
This is basically the same oatmeal cookie recipe that you can find on the back of a bag of butterscotch morsels, except that I changed a few things.
Start by creaming butter and sugar and vanilla together. You can sneak a taste now if you want!
Then, add eggs. Mix your dry ingredients in another bowl, and gradually combine the two.
Whenever I make chocolate chip cookies, I always refrigerate the dough for a few minutes before baking. So, that’s what I did with these cookies.
This step is completely optional. But, it seems to prevent the cookies from going flat while they bake.
Use a tablespoon or a small cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet. I recommend lining the sheets with foil, parchment paper or silicone baking matts.
These are optional steps, but the results are worth it! Now, you’re ready to bake!
The kids loved these oatmeal butterscotch chocolate chip cookies, and so did the Hubs. After all, it was his idea!
They’re soft, chewy, sweet and loaded with chocolate and butterscotch. And, they taste amazing!
Oatmeal Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Oatmeal Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened, 2 sticks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grond cinnamon
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 11- oz package butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla extract until creamy
- Beat in eggs
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, sea salt and baking soda
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the large bowl, and mix well
- Stir in the oats, cinnamon, semi sweet chips and butterscotch chips, and mix until well combined
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfulls onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between dough
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly brown around edges
- Allow to cool for about 2 minutes, then remove from baking sheets and allow to cool completely
This recipe makes almost 40 cookies, which is a lot, even for us. Keep them tightly covered in a container, and they’ll keep for a few days before they start to harden up.
Pin Image to Save the Recipe
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!
Post was originally published in 2016 and updated in June 2020.