Dorito Chicken Casserole is an easy recipe made with rotisserie chicken, cheddar cheese and Doritos in a creamy sauce. A delicious casserole the whole family loves and perfect for a busy weeknight!
Some of my favorite easy recipes for dinner are casseroles. They're easy to make and leftovers are even better the next day.
This cheesy casserole is made with Doritos, so this Mexican chicken casserole is kid friendly and naturally a family favorite. Who doesn't love comfort food?!
Use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken and it's done and on the table in less than an hour!
Easy Chicken Dorito Casserole Recipe Ingredients
There are just a few simple ingredients in this easy chicken Dorito casserole recipe. You can find them in your local grocery store.
- Rotisserie chicken -- cut into small pieces or leftover shredded chicken
- Nacho Cheese Doritos -- our favorite flavor, but you can use Cool Ranch Doritos or any variety or plain regular tortilla chips.
- Cheese -- shredded cheese, either cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican blend cheese
- Taco seasoning -- I use homemade taco seasoning, but a packet of seasoning is fine.
- Corn -- drained canned corn or frozen corn. I had Southwest style corn, but regular is fine.
- ROTEL -- or canned tomatoes and green chiles for flavor. Sub diced tomatoes and a can of chiles or a jar of salsa if you want.
- Cream of chicken soup -- binds the chicken and adds creaminess to the sauce. Sub cream of mushroom soup, nacho cheese soup or cream of celery
- Sour cream -- adds creaminess. If you don't like sour cream use 2 cans of soup.
How to Make Dorito Chicken Casserole Recipe
First, crush up the Doritos in smaller pieces. You Don't want to crush them up too fine -- bite sized pieces work best.
Spray a baking dish with non stick spray, and add a layer of doritos to the bottom of the baking dish.
Next, add the cream of chicken soup and sour cream to a large mixing bowl. Mix until well blended.
Add the chicken, taco seasoning, corn and Rotel, and mix until creamy.
Place half of the chicken mixture on top of Dorito layer. Drop the chicken over the chips for best results.
If you try to spread the mixture, it will pull up the layer of chips. Next, add half of the cheese over the chicken layer.
Repeat the layers with the remaining chicken over the cheese, followed by another layer of cheese.
Add the remaining crushed Doritos on top of the cheese. You can add a thin layer of cheese on top of the casserole if you like.
Bake the casserole in a preheated oven at 350 degrees f for 30 to 40 minutes minutes or until hot and bubbly.
If the chips start to brown, cover with aluminum foil until done.
What to Serve with Doritos Casserole
Use your favorite taco toppings for this creamy chicken casserole. I like to add diced fresh tomatoes, green onions or cilantro.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover chicken casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can freeze the casserole for longer storage, but the chips won't be as crispy.
Reheat individual portions in your microwave or the casserole dish in the oven, covered, at 300 degrees f until heated through.
Break Dorito chips into bite-sized pieces. If you crush them too fine, they will turn to a layer of mush.
Use your favorite flavor of tortilla chips here if you don't like nacho cheese flavor.
You can add as much cheese as you like to this cheesy dorito chicken casserole.
Cover the casserole if it starts to get too brown. Or, cover the casserole and remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of baking to crisp up the top layer of chips.
Dorito Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups crushed Nacho Cheese Doritos or more as needed
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 cups cooked chicken diced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 15 oz can corn drained, Southwest or regular
- 1 10 oz can ROTEL
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f
- Mix cream of chicken soup and sour cream in a large mixing bowl
- Add cooked chicken, taco seasoning, drained corn and ROTEL, and mix until well blended
- Spray a casserole dish or 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray, then add enough crushed Doritos to cover the bottom of the dish
- Layer half of the chicken mixture over the Doritos, then add 1 cup shredded cheese
- Repeat layers, adding remaining chicken over cheese layer, followed by remaining cheese and ending with remaining crushed Doritos
- Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Add more cheese to top before serving, if desired
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Doritos casserole with chicken as much as we do.
If you try it, be sure to leave a star rating and/or comment.
For more easy dinners and recipes anyone can make, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow on social media.