Beef and Bean Burritos made with ground beef, black beans and cheese take 20 minutes to make and are ideal when you need a quick and easy dinner!
We eat these easy ground beef and black bean burritos lot! In fact, it's one of my favorite budget friendly quick-fix dinner recipes to make.
Burritos are super simple to prepare, and my family absolutely loves them. Even the picky eaters gobble them right up, and we even love burritos for breakfast!
If you're looking for an easy ground beef recipe with few ingredients, this one's for you! Here's what you need to make the burritos:
- Ground beef
- Black beans
- Taco seasoning ( I use my Homemade Taco Seasoning)
- Jalapeño peppers (optional)
- Flour tortillas
Sometimes, I'll leave the beans out, but they're great for stretching out the beef and making this a very budget friendly meal. It's so budget friendly that I can usually get two dinners out of the beef and bean mixture! So if you're on a budget, ground beef and bean burritos are the way to go.
How to Make Beef and Bean Burritos
First, you cook your ground beef and beans. You can do this on the stove or make taco meat in your Instant Pot, which is basically the same filling for burritos.
When the ground beef is done, set it aside while you warm up the tortillas. It's not completely necessary, but I find it makes it easier to roll them up.
You can heat the tortillas on both sides on a skillet or griddle. Then, it's time to roll the tortillas.
How to Roll Tortillas
Place your beef and beans in a thin line in the center of the tortilla. Then, add shredded cheese and any other toppings you want.
The nice thing about keeping the basic beef and bean mixture simple is that you can go kind of crazy with the toppings. I like to set out a mix of cheese, lettuce, guacamole, pico de gallo, salsa and sour cream and let everyone go to town.
Most of us include a little bit of everything on our burritos, and the picky ones have the bare minimum. Whatever works!
Next, bring the two sides of the tortilla up and over the filling. They shouldn't touch. They should be close to the middle.
Now, tuck and roll. Bring the end of the tortilla that's closest to you up and around the meat mixture.
Tuck it over the meat as tight as you can. Then, roll it up so that the seam is on the bottom.
You can cut the burrito in half, which makes it a little easier to add hot sauce or salsa. Or, leave them as is and enjoy!
Burritos are freezer friendly and easy to reheat in the microwave or air fryer or toaster oven. perfect for meal planning.
To freeze burritos, just add cheese if you want but nothing fresh. Allow to cool slightly, then wrap in plastic wrap and foil or place is zip top freezer bags.
Beef and Black Bean Burritos Recipe
Beef and Black Bean Burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced optional
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- taco seasoning 1 packet or 3 tablespoons homemade
- 1 cup water
- large burrito size tortillas
- In a medium skillet, saute the onions and diced jalapenos until slightly soft
- Add ground beef, and cook until brown
- Drain any fat from beef, and stir in seasonings
- Add water and black beans, cover and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until water is mostly absorbed
- Warm large tortillas on griddle, if desired, and fill each with small amount of beef and bean mixture and desired toppings. Roll up and serve immediately
Published originally in 2017 and updated July 2020