This Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites Recipe is an easy treat made with banana slices dipped in melted chocolate and frozen solid. A healthy snack that tastes like ice cream and is perfect for summer!
This easy banana bites recipe makes the perfect frozen treat in minutes with just 3 ingredients! A frozen banana tastes like ice cream, and chocolate covered bananas taste like frozen BonBons ice cream or Dibs from back in the day.
These tasty little bites are a great way to use up ripe bananas and satisfy your sweet tooth, especially when it's too hot to bake banana bread or banana muffins. I like to make a batch and keep in the freezer as the perfect treat for the kids (and for me).
You only need a few simple ingredients for this easy recipe. They should be easy to find in your grocery store. You can find the full printable recipe card below.
- Ripe bananas -- not overripe bananas. They should have a few brown spots but shouldn't be super soft or mushy.
- Chocolate chips -- I use semi sweet chocolate chips, but dark chocolate chips are good if you want a rich dark chocolate flavor. Milk chocolate may be too sweet.
- Coconut oil -- Melted coconut oil makes melted chocolate smooth and perfect for dipping. You can sub butter if you don't want to use coconut oil. If you use milk chocolate chips, you can skip the added oil.
- Sea salt -- or flaked salt. Optional but enhances the chocolate flavor and balances out the sweet banana flavor. You can add your own fun toppings like chopped nuts or sprinkles or leave the banana bites plain.
How to Make Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Bites
First, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl (microwave-safe bowl). I usually do 30 seconds, stir and heat in 30 second increments until melted.
Then, slice bananas while the chocolate mixture cools down slightly. Aim for half inch slices. You don't want the slices of banana to be too thin or too thick.
Next, dip each banana slice into the melted chocolate with a fork. Make sure the entire banana slice is coated in chocolate.
Let the excess chocolate drip back into the bowl.
Place the chocolate banana bites on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper.
If you want to add sea salt or your favorite toppings, sprinkle toppings on after the chocolate cools slightly. The salt will melt if the chocolate is too warm.
How Long to Freeze Chocolate-Covered Bananas
Place the chocolate-covered bananas into the freezer. They will be ready to eat but still a little soft after 1 hour. Freeze for 2 hours or more if you want ice-cold frozen bananas.
How to Store Frozen Banana Bites
Once the banana bites are frozen, place them in an airtight container and return to the freezer. This sweet treat keeps for up to 2 months.
For chocolate peanut butter banana bites, slice bananas thinner -- about ¼-inch thick and spread a little bit of peanut butter between slices before dipping in chocolate.
You can use any nut butter, such as cashew butter or almond butter. Spread a little bit of jam or fruit preserves if you like! You can add the jam without the peanut butter for a delicious twist on the basic recipe!
Use a double boiler to melt chocolate on the stove-top if you prefer not to use the microwave.
Use ripe but not overripe bananas for best results.
Don't slice bananas too thin or too thick -- ½ inch works best.
Allow melted chocolate to cool slightly before adding any toppings.
If a baking tray won't fit in your freezer, use a platter or large plate.
If you are sensitive to cold, you may want to let the frozen banana bites warm up a little bit at room temperature before eating.
Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites Recipe
- 3 bananas
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- sea salt (optional)
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl, and heat for 30 seconds, stir, then 30 second-intervals, stirring between each interval until melted. (about 1½ - 2 minutes total)
- Slice bananas about ½ inch thick
- Dip banana slices into melted chocolate with fork. Allow excess chocolate to drip back into bowl
- Place banana slices on wax paper or parchment paper-lined baking tray. Top with flaked salt if desired
- Place in freezer for 2 hours or until frozen
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
My whole family loves these chocolate banana bites. They are a delicious and healthier way to satisfy your sweet cravings on a warm summer day!
If you try this simple recipe, please leave a star rating and/or comment.
For more easy dessert recipes and simple recipes anyone can make, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow along on social media.