Easy Instant Pot Hamburger Soup is made with ground beef, potatoes, carrots or other vegetables cooked in a savory tomato beef broth. Perfect comfort food!
Easy Instant Pot hamburger soup is the pressure cooker version of the ground beef noodle soup recipe I posted last year. I’ve been converting as many of my stove top recipes to Instant Pot recipes as possible, so I was so excited for this one! I would have made hamburger noodle soup in the Instant Pot sooner, but nobody really wants soup in a hot Phoenix summer!
Hamburger soup is such an easy dinner recipe, and it’s definitely one of the easiest Instant Pot soup recipes I’ve made yet. I eliminated as much of the prep work as possible, so there’s not a lot chopping going on. This Instant Pot soup is easy enough to do during the week, and there are plenty of leftovers to enjoy later!
Even though I used egg noodles in the original recipe, I made this hamburger soup with potatoes — baby potatoes. They’re small enough to throw in whole, and you don’t peel them. Same with the carrots.
So, you only have to chop up some celery and an onion. But here’s a tip — keep some chopped onions in the freezer! Or, use dried minced onions to make this hamburger soup (or any recipe) easier!
I’ve made this easy hamburger soup several times already, and even my picky eaters love it. You can mash up the potatoes and carrots to make it thick and stew-like if your kids don’t like broth. And, you can add green beans, corn or other veggies to make it a little different each time.
How to Make Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
Start off by browning the ground beef in the Instant Pot. I like to use lean or extra-lean ground beef to avoid draining the grease, but you can drain it if you need to.
Then, add some celery, onions and season the mixture before adding the broth. Make sure no beef is stuck to the pot, and deglaze it using the beef stock if you need to.
Next, add the potatoes and carrots. Since they’re so small, just toss them in without slicing. And then, add the beef broth and canned tomatoes.
I use both diced tomatoes and tomato sauce in hamburger soup. Actually the first time I made this soup in the Instant Pot, I only had a large can of tomato sauce. I thought it might be too much tomato flavor, but it was so good that I used the same amount the next time.
Pressure cook the soup for 10 minutes with a 5 to 10-minute natural release. Technically, you can do a quick release, but you may end up having to repaint your kitchen — soups tend to spray everywhere!
Looking for more Instant Pot ground beef recipes?
- Instant Pot creamy shells and beef
- Instant Pot ground beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot macaroni beef casserole
Recipe for Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 32-ounce carton, low sodium organic beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can low-sodium or no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 1.5-pound bag baby potatoes
- 1/2 1-pound bag baby carrots
- Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE setting, and when it reads Hot, add the ground beef, break up with spatula, and cook until no longer pink
- Add the onion and celery, and season with sea salt, garlic powder and pepper. Cook until onion is slightly soft
- Hit CANCEL, then pour in beef stock, and deglaze pot (if necessary) by stirring beef to make sure nothing is stuck to bottom. Layer potatoes, carrots, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce on top -- DO NOT STIR
- Cover with lid, turn vent to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 10 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then count down and cook. Allow a 10 minute natural release to avoid broth spraying from valve. Then, do quick release by turning valve to venting to release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, remove lid, stir and serve!
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot hamburger soup recipe as much as we do!