Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is a super easy no bake dessert that's perfect for summer. All you need are 3 ingredients to make this make ahead frozen dessert!
I made a super easy ice cream sandwich cake for my daughter's birthday this year. She's not a fan of cake, but she absolutely loves ice cream for dessert.
The ice cream cake was a hit with the whole family, and it's become one of the kids' favorite no bake summer desserts. There's no cooking, baking, mixing or anything -- all you do is assemble the cake and freeze it!
What you Need
All you need are 3 ingredients for this simple make ahead frozen dessert and a couple of other things to make it:
- Ice cream sandwiches
- Cool Whip or whipped topping or whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Parchment paper for easy removal
- Loaf pan
- Decorative candy sprinkles or candies
How to Assemble the Ice Cream Cake
First, place 2 pieces of parchment paper, overlapping, in a loaf pan. This makes it a lot easier to remove the cake later!
Then, place 4 ice cream sandwiches in the loaf pan. You may need to trim the edges of sandwiches in the first layer, but you can use these to fill out the sides.
Now, spread a layer of whipped topping over the sandwiches. It doesn't have to be super thick, just thick enough to cover the sandwiches.
You can save the thickest layer of whipped cream or topping for the top of the cake.
Next, drizzle a little bit of chocolate syrup over the Cool Whip. This just helps to keep the layers of sandwiches in place.
It also adds extra chocolate flavor, which is never a bad thing. Yum!
Now, you just add another layer of sandwiches, followed by whipped topping and more syrup. Once you add the final layer of ice cream sandwiches, you just spread the remaining whipped topping on the cake.
You can add colorful jimmies, sprinkles or candy. Then, pop the cake into the freezer for about 2 hours, or until it's set.
Tips and Tricks
You're working with ice cream, so you have to move quickly so it doesn't melt.
- Have sandwiches unwrapped and ready to go for quick assembly
- Get someone to help to make things go fast -- kids love helping!
- Remove the cake from the pan and place on a platter for easy slicing. You can do this ahead of time and place back in freezer if you want
- To make an ice cream sandwich cake in a 13x9 pan, double the ingredients
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 12 ½ ice cream sandwiches
- 8 ounces whipped topping Cool Whip, thawed
- chocolate syrup
- candy for decorating optional
- Cut parchment paper and overlap to fit inside loaf pan
- Place 4 ice cream sandwiches in the pan, trimming to fit, if necessary. Place small slices on the side to fill pan, if desired
- Spread a layer of whipped topping evenly over sandwiches
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over whipped topping
- Repeat layers, and finish up with a layer of whipped frosting over the top. Decorate with candy sprinkles, if desired
- Freeze until solid, about 2 hours or longer if needed
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
This is an awesome recipe! My kids and I loved making this. We also loved eating it. It was gone in one day!!
Sounds like my family! Thanks, Max!
Allyson Zea says
My son requested something like this for his birthday, and this recipe was perfect! Thank you for the simple instructions!
So happy he liked the cake! Thanks for the sweet comment, Allyson!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious says
I make a cake like this and it is always so popular at pool parties! Yours looks wonderful!
Thank you so much, Dorothy. Ice cream cakes are so perfect for summer!
My kids loved this so much! They couldn't stop eating these!
Thanks, Toni! I'm so glad they liked the cake!
Yum! This looks so yummy and scrumptious! I can't wait to make this for my kids! They are going to love this!
This Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is looks absolutely delicious! Yummy!
Thanks so much, Erin! It's an awesome cake!
Sara Welch says
Loved how easy this was to make and my kids loved it too! Going to be making this again later this summer for my daughter's birthday!
So happy you liked it, Sara! It makes a wonderful birthday cake!
Oh the kids will not be able to get enough of these, I will be making them this weekend!