Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff is an easy dinner recipe made with hamburger meat and egg noodles and no cream of mushroom soup. It's delicious, budget friendly and kid approved! Enjoy this family favorite comfort food in just 30 minutes!
Instant Pot ground beef stroganoff is one of my family's favorite Instant Pot ground beef recipes. It's right up there with Instant Pot creamy shells and beef, Instant Pot Taco Pasta and Instant Pot spaghetti and meat sauce! My entire family -- even my picky eater -- loves it! It's also one of the quickest easy Instant Pot recipes you can make. Seriously, you can't mess this up!
Growing up, my grandmother made an authentic beef stroganoff with beef stew meat, fresh mushrooms -- the works. And while that was probably the best traditional beef stroganoff recipe I've ever tasted, this Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff recipe is so much easier. It's an easy weeknight meal that is perfect for busy days!
I make this easy ground beef stroganoff recipe without cream of mushroom soup. In fact, the Hubs can't have mushrooms, so there are no fresh mushrooms, either. But don't worry, because there's plenty of flavor here!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this easy beef stroganoff recipe:
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- Lean ground beef
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced onions, smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- Low sodium beef broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- Egg noodles
- Dijon mustard
- Sour cream
How to Make Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
Making beef stroganoff in the electric pressure cooker is super easy. I'll walk you through the steps here, and you can find more detailed instructions in the printable recipe card.
First, you start off by heating some olive oil in the pot on sauté setting. Then add your hamburger meat and seasonings, and cook the ground meat until no pink remains.
I use lean ground beef, so I usually don't drain it. But if there's too much grease, or you don't have lean beef, drain off as much as you can. Then, season the meat.
Make sure there are no browned bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add a little bit of beef broth to deglaze the pot, using a flat spatula if necessary. This helps to prevent getting the dreaded burn message!
Then, and add a bag of uncooked egg noodles over the meat. Next, you pour in a little Worcestershire sauce and the remaining beef broth.
The noodles may not be completely covered in liquid, but that's fine. Just press down with your spatula so they're mostly covered.
Add the lid, and make sure the pressure release valve is set to sealing. Now, pressure cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. The pot will take a few minutes to pressurize before it starts cooking.
Keep in mind, the total cook time may vary with individual pressure cookers.
After pressure cooking, turn the steam release valve to release the pressure. I usually do a gradual quick release to minimize liquid spraying everywhere. That means turning the valve slowly instead of all at once.
When the pressure is fully released, remove the Instant Pot lid. Then, stir in a little Dijon mustard and the sour cream.
Stir well until the sour cream sauce and the beef and noodles are fully combined. Now, you are ready to eat this delicious Instant Pot stroganoff!
This Instant Pot beef stroganoff is easy, creamy and so delicious! You can add more sour cream for a super creamy sauce if you like. But I usually just put extra on the table and let people add as much as they want.
This Instant pot beef stroganoff recipe is super easy to customize to suit your needs. You can use a different kind of meat, like ground turkey to make this a healthy dinner, or healthier, I should say. Try Greek yogurt instead of sour cream!
You can saute onion slices instead of using dried or substitute onion powder instead of minced. You can also use a packet of dry onion soup mix instead of the seasonings.
And if you don't have an Instant Pot or any electric pressure cooker, you can make this one pot ground beef stroganoff on your stove!
I think your whole family will love this easy one pot meal. Just add a simple side salad and maybe dinner rolls to complete the meal.
How to Store and Reheat
Store the leftover stroganoff in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It keeps well for 3 to 4 days.
For longer storage, freeze the ground beef stroganoff in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. It freezes and reheats well in your microwave or on the stove.
Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 12-ounce bag wide egg noodles
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup sour cream
- Hit SAUTE button on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add olive oil then the ground beef. Break up and stir beef with spatula, and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain beef if you need to, then stir in sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced onions and smoked paprika. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, making sure there are no browned bits stuck to pot. Hit Cancel
- Add egg noodles over beef, then pour beef broth over and around the noodles. Broth may not cover all the noodles, but you can press gently down with spoon to get them in the broth
- Cover, then turn vent to Sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes
- Pot will heat up, then beep when it reaches pressure. After 4 minutes cook time, do a gradual quick release to prevent liquid from spraying. When pin drops, remove lid, and stir noodles and beef.
- Stir in the Dijon mustard and sour cream until thoroughly mixed. You can add more sour cream if you like or serve with additional sour cream on the side
Recipe first published in 2018 and fully updated in 2021
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe as much as we do! For more easy recipes, be sure to sign up for my weekly newsletter!