Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are smooth, creamy and perfect every time. Make the easiest, best mashed potatoes ever in your pressure cooker!
These are the absolute easiest mashed potatoes on the planet. No joke. They remind me of my grandma's mashed potato recipe, and she made the best mashed potatoes ever!
Before I bought my Instant Pot, I usually only made mashed potatoes for holiday dinners like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Peeling, chopping, boiling, draining -- a lot of work.
But making mashed potatoes in the pressure cooker is so much easier. Even though this is just a side dish, it's truly one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes! Honestly, these Instant Pot mashed potatoes are easy and completely full proof!
How to make the best mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot pressure cooker
This is a no drain, no peel mashed potato recipe. Most of the water is used during the pressure cooking process, so there's no need to drain it. And, you use Yukon Gold potatoes, there's no need to peel them!
What's the secret to the best mashed potatoes?
- Use the right potatoes -- Yukon Gold or russets are perfect, while red potatoes are better for salad
- Warm your cream and butter before mashing the potatoes
- Use a potato masher or ricer -- not a hand mixer
First, wash and cut the potatoes into quarters. Then, add a trivet to the instant pot, along with the water.
How long do you cook potatoes in the Instant Pot?
For mashed potatoes, 10 minutes is perfect! If you do peel and dice your potatoes, you can cook them for about 5 minutes.
After cooking, reach in and remove the trivet (using hot mitts). Then push the potatoes over to one side, and add the cream and butter. This lets the cream warm up.
Next, use a potato masher to start mashing the potatoes. Keep going until they're creamy and fluffy, and the lumps are gone. You'll have some texture from the skins.
before serving, sample the potatoes and add some sea salt and pepper to taste. You can serve them with a pat of butter on top!
Looking for more Instant Pot Potato Recipes?
The Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash potatoes, and cut into quarters. Add water to the Instant Pot, and place trivet inside
- Place cut potatoes on top of trivet, and season with sea salt
- Put lid on pressure cooker, turn vent to Sealing, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 10 minutes. Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then begin counting down and cook for 10 minutes
- When pot beeps, turn valve to Venting for quick release. When pin drops, open lid, and using hot mitts, remove trivet
- Push potatoes to 1 side, and add heavy cream and butter, stir slightly, and allow to warm and sit for a minute
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until fluffy and smooth. Season to taste, and serve
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
Don't Forget to Pin this Recipe to Save It
I hope you love these easy, creamy, Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes as much as we do!