This Easy Instant Pot Potatoes recipe is a quick and easy side dish that takes just 10 minutes to make in the pressure cooker. Dump, press start, and cook!
This recipe for Instant Pot potatoes is one of the easiest Instant Pot recipes you'll ever make. There's virtually no prep work, and you get fork-tender, perfectly cooked potatoes every time!
I've been making these baby potatoes in my Instant Pot for quite a while. It's one of my family's favorite side dishes, besides Instant Pot jasmine rice, and these gorgeous little spuds are on the menu frequently.
I used to bake baby potatoes in the oven or use them with sheet pan dinners. But, after making them in the Instant Pot, I won't make them any other way! If you're looking for a quick and easy side dish, this recipe is definitely for you!
How to cook potatoes in the Instant Pot pressure cooker
I use a bag of small yellow baby potatoes. The skins are thin, so you don't even need to peel them or cut them. Just wash them and place them into a steamer basket.
How do you boil potatoes in the Instant Pot?
Actually, you don't -- unless you're adding them to soup or stew. For this recipe, the Instant Pot potatoes are steamed in a steamer basket.
You still add water, but the potatoes don't actually sit in the water. And this prevents them from getting too soft and mushy.
If your steamer basket has legs, you can place the basket directly in the pot. Mine does not, so I place the trivet into the pot and add the steamer basket on top of the trivet.
How long do you cook potatoes in the Instant Pot?
For potatoes that are just fork tender and not falling apart, you only need to cook them for 10 minutes. Keep in mind, these are baby yellow potatoes with thin skins. Russet potatoes, sweet potatoes or large potatoes require more time.
If you plan to mash the potatoes, you can cook them for 12 minutes or longer.
After the potatoes are done, take them out of the pressure cooker, and place them into a serving bowl. This part is optional, but I like to add a couple of tablespoons of butter to the bowl and toss the potatoes in the butter until they're all coated with buttah!
Next, I sprinkle a little sea salt and parsley over the potatoes, and they're ready to eat. Yum.
Looking for more Instant Pot side dishes?
Recipe for Easy Instant Pot Potatoes
Easy Instant Pot Potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 1.5 bag baby yellow potatoes
- Wash the potatoes, and pat dry
- Pour the water into the Instant Pot, set the trivet in place, and add the steamer basket on top of the trivet
- Place the potatoes into the basket, Place lid on pressure cooker, and turn pressure valve to Sealing position
- Hit PRESSURE COOK for 10 minutes. Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then count down from 10 minutes.
- When pot beeps, do a quick release by turning valve to Venting position. When pin drops, open lid, and carefully remove potatoes from basket into a serving bowl. Add butter, if desired, and stir to coat potatoes with butter. Serve immediately
I hope you enjoy these easy Instant Pot potatoes as much as we do!