This Instant Pot Potato Salad is a quick and easy recipe for the best potato salad ever — just like mom used to make! Cook the potatoes and eggs together in your pressure cooker for a classic side dish that’s perfect for holidays, picnics and potlucks!
Did you know you can cook potatoes and eggs at the same time in your pressure cooker? You guys, this is a game changer. Once you try Instant Pot potato salad, you’ll never make potato salad the old way again!
This easy potato salad recipe is one of those recipes that makes me so incredibly happy that I have an electric pressure cooker. Seriously.
I mean, I love using the Instant Pot for so many different things, but there are a few recipes that are downright amazing in the Instant Pot, like pulled pork, hard boiled eggs and baby back ribs. And now, potato salad joins the club!
My mom always made the best potato salad. It was a traditional potato salad recipe — creamy, mild and simple. We always had it for Easter and summer holidays and picnics. The Hubs just loves the stuff, but it’s definitely time consuming and takes quite a bit of work.
See, you peel potatoes and boil the potatoes, boil the eggs and peel the eggs, and then, you start putting it all together. By then, you’re exhausted and too tired to eat. Just kidding, but you get the picture.
But when you make potato salad in the Instant Pot, it’s SO much easier. It’s Mom’s recipe, only better!
How to make easy potato salad with eggs in the Instant Pot
To make Instant Pot potato salad, you cook the eggs and the potatoes together, at the same time. You don’t even peel the potatoes first — They are way easier to peel after they’re cooked!
You can use a trivet on the bottom or a steamer basket if you have one. Just cut the potatoes in half, and place the eggs on top.
How long do you cook potatoes in the Instant Pot for potato salad?
You’ll find many different variations for the cooking times, but 5 minutes of cooking time with a 5 minute natural release works best. For red potatoes, this is plenty of time, and you could even do 4 minutes if you like firmer potatoes.
After the potatoes and eggs are done, remove the eggs, using kitchen tongs, and place them in ice water to cool down. Then, remove the trivet or basket, and potatoes, and place the potatoes on a baking sheet to cool off. While you’re waiting for the potatoes to cool, you can peel the eggs and chop them up.
You can literally peel the skins off with your fingers — it’s that easy! Then, dice the potatoes with a knife.
I like to throw in a little chopped celery for extra crunch and added texture. So, just mix everything together, along with some mayo and a little salt and pepper. And that’s it!
You guys, that’s all it takes to make Instant Pot potato salad! How easy is this?!
I like to garnish the potato salad with sliced hard boiled eggs, parsley and a little bit of smoked paprika for color. Isn’t it gorgeous? And, look how creamy it is!
Tips for making Instant Pot potato salad with eggs
- Use a trivet or steamer basket to keep potatoes and eggs out of the water
- Have a bowl of ice water next to the pressure cooker for the eggs
- Have a foil-lined baking sheet (for easy clean-up) ready for the potatoes
- Chop the celery while the potatoes and eggs are cooking
- Peel and chop the eggs while the potatoes are cooling off
- Add extra salt, pepper and mayo if needed
- Add mustard, pickles or relish if you like!
Recipe for Easy Instant Pot Potato Salad
Instant Pot Potato Salad
- 1 cup water
- 8 small to medium red potatoes, sliced in half
- 4 eggs
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- Place the trivet into the Instant Pot, and add the water
- Add the potatoes, and place eggs on top
- Cover, turn valve to sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes cook time, allow a 5 minute natural release, then hit CANCEL
- Turn valve to venting position to release any remaining pressure. When pin drops, carefully open lid
- Remove eggs, using kitchen tongs, and place in ice water
- Carefully lift trivet, and remove potatoes onto a foil-lined baking sheet to cool
- Remove eggs from ice water, peel, and roughly chop. Reserve 1 egg for garnish, if desired
- Remove potato skins, dice potatoes with a knife, and add to large mixing bowl
- Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, add celery and chopped eggs, and gently mix in mayo. Taste, and add additional salt and pepper, if desired
- Refrigerate for at least one or or more, and garnish with cut eggs and chopped parsley, if desired. before serving
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot Potato Salad recipe as much as we do!